Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am down to the small details of my 67' standard interior and I have come to the point of installing the floor mats. This is easy but my floor mats are original and very delicate. When I bought the car I removed the old saddle mats first thing and stored them safely for when the car was refinished. Now I am at that point and I'd like to clean the floor mats safely and make them look good for their age. They are very dirty with small cracks and a few small chips/ hunks missing on the edges. They're original and I am willing to accept that and want to be extra careful since they do not make reproductions to my knowledge. My questions are what do you clean them with and what do you preserve them with? For example do I clean and scrub them with a brush and dawn and spray with armor all to keep them looking nice or are there a few tricks of the trade? Thanks again mercurycougar.net.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have always cleaned mine by laying them flat and scrubbing with a little laundry soap and water. I wouldn't use armor all as it tends to redden as it sets. Others have said that WD-40 is great for all things rubber. I have not used it yet but I think it would or could apply to the floor mats too. You would just want to make sure you wiped them dry afterward so as not to leave any residue on your carpet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts