Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new 2-v carb a couple of months ago and have't had a chance to work on my Cougar since. If I pour gas in the carb, the car turns over and runs for a couple of seconds. I have undone the fuel line at the filter on the carb, and when I move the accelerator, no gas comes through the line.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
AB

68 standard 302 2-v

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
no gas comes through the line? you mean the fuel line going into the carb? if thats the case, pressing te accelerator wont do anything. if the carb isnt shooting gas on its own then you might have a carb problem. personally i think the fuel pump might be the problem here. go get an small empty water bottle stick the end of the fuel line in that. ( after undoing it from the carb of course ) crank the engine over for a few seconds and see if gas comes out of the line and into the bottle. if not, i think you have a fuel pump problem or a block in the gas line. if it does, you might still have a pump problem. ( buddy had a problem with his Bronco that had a similar problem.. pump would move fuel, but it was very weak so the car would die after a few seconds ) changing the pump is pretty easy so its not that big a deal. well, unless you have AC, then it becomes more of a change it without actually being able to see it deal lol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Was the car running before you put tyhe new carb on? Sixt9coug is right. Pumping the accelerator won't move gas to the carb, only from the carb to the chambers. Do the bottle thing he talked about, it'll give you a closer idea of what's going on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used an empty bottle, and gas came out of the fuel line when I cranked the car. It appears that the problem is with the carb. We know the carb is getting fuel. Now what should I try?

Thanks,
AB

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
the needle might be stuck then if the carb isnt doing anything. MIGHT be, but im not sure if the carb has fuel in the bowl or not. you might want to see if there is any fuel in the bowl first then we can go from there. if it was sitting a while, yeah the needle is probably stuck. if not... errr, im not sure yet lol. i havent messed with alot of 2bbls so i cant do a step by step tear down of it off the top of my head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts