Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest update, the right sideshaft is bent, driving behind her I could see the tyres doing that funny wobble, so guess they were all right, the sideshaft is what is scraping against the drum, also diff out of centre, tie rod ends out, exhaust has tons of holes in in, guess thats why she has such a nice healthy roar. Flanges also blowing..
Heres a picture I took, see if any of you can notice anything about the diff?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't know what it is you are calling side shaft. Could you post picture. Is this the axel?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
First the defferential is the way ford did it. it is off center. Do you mean an axle shaft is bent? Besure to make sure the wheel is not bent, this is more common then the axle. But axles do get bent. I see in the pic that the exhaust is run through the springs to make the ends farther apart. you can see the stock hangers on each side of the gas tank. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Unless you're talking about a bent axle tube...but that would mean that someone has jumped the car Dukes Of Hazzard style...or maybe an accident.

Why don't people ever unbolt the old stuff if they're not going to be using it(PO's I mean)? I can't count the number of time I was under an old truck and find a bunch of add-on brackets and stuff that isn't used anymore, and is just something to whack your head on...hoofah!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Dayle

BTW - when you get the exhausts done the tips exit between the petrol tank and the rear springs

Looks like it has lowering blocks between springs and axle housing. I'd ditch them and see if it aligns axle in the springs

If they have replaced the axle housing from Australian Falcon it will be wider than Cougar and will not fit. They might also have replaced the drims with Australian stuff which can be wider and could be rubbing against the backing plate

There aren't any tie-rod ends on the rear. Do you mean the shackles - the vertical pieces of plate that mount the springs at the rear or the bushes at either end of the leaf springs?

You can tell by the graunched brake line that someone has been screwing around with the rear brakes. Does it still have drums on the rear or has someone tried to transplate a Falcon disc braked reare end?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woah, my heads spinning, LOL. Okay, guess our way of saying something is a bit different. Firstly, sorry, mean't the tie rod ends in the front of the car, the tyres point towards each other, the rubber is wearing out badly on the insides of the tyres.
Side shaft- right hand side drive shaft, or half shaft.
Badcatt, do you mean the diff is correct the way it is, hope so, please let me know before Monday, I would hate for them to start taking off stuff that should not be taken off and changed. Remember this is proberly the first cougar these guys have worked on, V8 cars - lots of, but not cougars.
Leon, it had drums on, but they were from a local car and were not deep enough, only wore the shoes out at spots, I got new drums from "Stateside" [V8 place in Cape Town], they are the correct drums [....I hope.......] Invoice says Fairlane/Mustang 67-73. They are stamped 'Made in Canada'.
They fit perfectly. Which was why I could not understand the grinding noise when driving, when I took it back they stripped it all down again, something on the drive shaft [right side] grinds against the backing plate, they machined it a bit to stop it from grinding when going straight but not when it turns.
ZT - I think this car was badly manhandled, proberly why they were going to blow it up in a movie, it did get a rear smash on the left hand side. Left side when looking at her from the front, right side when looking from the back. Its the drivers side rear tyre that wobbles, hell this is confusing. So to sum it up, looking at her from the rear.........drivers side tyre/rim wobbles, passenger side got smashed.
The previous owners to the guy I bought it from seemed to have used it for dragging, thats when it got smashed. The guy I bought it from did alot of work on the engine [!?] but not much on the body, also think he got a lot of bad advice.
I am going to post what pics I took at the exhaust place when she was up on the hoist/lift/thing that goes up..

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the pictures...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next one

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last one

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Badcatt, the reason they say the diff is off centre is because the passenger side rear tyre sticks out of the fender more than the drivers side rear tyre.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW - when you get the exhausts done the tips exit between the petrol tank and the rear springs
Will pass that on to the guy who is making up the new tail pieces, he is quite a fussy chap and would rather do it correctly.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
As mentioned above remove blocks between springs and housing. This will return clearance for tires. At the same time you can make sure rear end is centerd under car. I think it is more likely that wheel is bent than axel. Try swaping wheels from side to side and look at your wobble again. If it switches sides, it is the wheel that needs replacing.

If car was banged to side, he frame may need to be racked to straighten.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like it has lowering blocks between springs and axle housing. I'd ditch them and see if it aligns axle in the springs
Is this what you are talking about Leon?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try swaping wheels from side to side and look at your wobble again. If it switches sides, it is the wheel that needs replacing.
Now why did'nt I think of that :D, will do, as soon as the rain stops.
Pity I can't find out how it was smashed, if it was just an accident on the road, or if it was a full on smash at the track. Looking at the way the boot/trunk lid does not fit, and a couple of other things I would go for a big smash, which means the frame could be a bit out. If the rain stops tomorrow I will take some more pictures, with a view to working out if its skew or not.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Dayle

Yes - the blocks between the axle housing (driveshaft housing) and the spring. They are held there by the U bolts. The axles should be mounted on the plate that the u-bolts run through.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear pictures, she is parked at a slight angle, but you can still see she is skew, I think.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Small little update, the rear rims are welded inside out, to give deep dish and yet have the same mag, could be the problem.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah, that could be part of the problem...

I guess parts availability forced the PO to do that...?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not really, I mean we can get wide rims here, might cost a bit more but everything is available, I think its just a cheap option they use, I have heard about it, never wanted to do it for any of our vehicles tho', it just seems plain unsafe. I think this cougar was used for drag by the folks who owned her before the guy I got it from, I also think they spun him a story, or else he is trying to spin it to me, but he did not seem the sort, also did not seem too clued up, but who knows, I have 'sucker' tatoo'd on my forehead, for all to see :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah, there's a reason why places like Stockton Wheel are in business, cause they are professionals with all the equipment necessary to modify wheels properly.

Have you tried (this requires experience and a reasonable degree of handiwork) blocking the front wheels, putting the rear axle up on stands, and spinning the wheels? I know, sounds crazy, but it doesn't take much. Put it in 2nd and let 'em spin. Give it just a little gas, and if those wheels are out of balance, you'll KNOW it.

Go ahead, I don't care if you guys rip me apart. Everybody has their methods :p:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts