Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having this issue with the side marker lights and taillight staying on after turning off the car but not the headlights and obviously this problem drains my battery pretty quickly so right now the car is disconnected. Anyone know what could be causing this problem?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I'm a little confused by your question. Are you turning off the lights at the light switch? What year car are we talking about here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm entertained. You really need to push that light switch a little harder. Remember, it's a classic, not a late model.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
And, make sure that is not past the "click" when you turn it to the left, to brighten them up...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did push the switch all the way in. I guess i bought a faulty headlight switch... It didnt use to do this the first time i bought and installed it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, you sure it's seating all the way..? Doesn't sound like it. See if you can manually "force" it by holing it fromt he back and pushing from the front.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Like Badcat said, if you don't have the switch all the way against the back of the dash you may have the chrome piece on the front cross threaded and not tight enough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This may sound a little crazy but I experienced something similar to this on my 68 when I first got it. As I recall, I think it was related to the "LAMP" interior lighting toggle switch. It's too late and too cold to test my theory right now and those two things are probably contributing to my craziness. :eek7:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Guess what? I am not crazy after all. I just checked and with the car not running, no key in the ignition and the headlight switch in the off position, when I flip the dash mounted toggle switch labeled "LAMPS", the dash lights as well as the front side marker lights and the tail lights all came on. My guess is that its supposed to work that way. This allows you to have all of the lights on except the headlights. I didn't check but I would bet the front parking lights under the bumper came on as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally, I just fixed this issue by buying a new headlight switch retainer. The old one was badly stripped and wasn't able to tightly hold the headlight switch in place. Case closed. Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts