Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some Cougars have a large side marker / turn signal in the front fender and others do not. Mine has some damage from a wreck and I can see that someone bondo'd over the light on the driver side at one time. Passenger does not have one but I don't know if it was bondo'd over as well.

Mine is a 67 Cougar base model.

Is mine suppose to have them or not? Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
If it is a 67 then NO

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds like you have some fenders from a 68

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The 67's did not have the rear reflector or front fender light. The 68's did.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
This has come up before, that there was some other local/state mandated light. I have a pair of 67 fenders that have a side marker light installed that is not the same thing as the 68's.....

·
Registered
389 Posts
This has come up before, that there was some other local/state mandated light. I have a pair of 67 fenders that have a side marker light installed that is not the same thing as the 68's.....
doubtful that any state had more strict requirements than the feds.... even back then with the ralph nader uproar that triggered nhtsa and the start of fed requirements.

im betting those fenders are just an aftermarket reflector installed.... people modify things all the time.

OR you could be really really lucky and have the fenders off of one of those prototype 68s that had the skinnier marker lights, although i think those were all just air brushed in the photos form what i have read, but perhaps not.

but back to the topic, yeah, u got at least one 68 fender that was used as a replacement and just covered over.

·
Registered
389 Posts
please tell me they welded it up before using body filler to smooth it out though...id hate to see bondo on such a huge opening

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
doubtful that any state had more strict requirements than the feds.... even back then with the ralph nader uproar that triggered nhtsa and the start of fed requirements.

im betting those fenders are just an aftermarket reflector installed.... people modify things all the time.

OR you could be really really lucky and have the fenders off of one of those prototype 68s that had the skinnier marker lights, although i think those were all just air brushed in the photos form what i have read, but perhaps not.

but back to the topic, yeah, u got at least one 68 fender that was used as a replacement and just covered over.

Wasn't the legislation state based until the late 70's

California had different emission standards, required headrests, and seatbelts before the others, except Florida (I think).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wasn't the legislation state based until the late 70's

California had different emission standards, required headrests, and seatbelts before the others, except Florida (I think).
u might be right...i wasnt born till 79 haha. but i believe nhtsa wasnt established till 70 or maybe early 70s but i think 1970. California is and always will be weird... their residents aint got enuf since to protect them selves so they have to be coddled more hahahaha JK :)

i have a brain full of useless FMVSS and NHTSA knowledge thats all current stuff but the actual history isnt as clear in my head.... i know nader and the corvair started all the US federal regulations though and it just went from there. now we have cars that try to protect even the biggest idiot, but IMO i think all it does is take the skill and knowledge out of driving and makes it more of a turn it on and make it go type of thing, which i think is more dangerous than having a metal dash board with no padding. but, my work certainly helps me to appreciate the regulations that actually do help. oops off topic. ::)

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Lots of people added side marker lights or reflectors to their pre-1968 cars to "update" them and make them look more like new cars.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the national transportation act of 1968 is the culpret(our 68 had a tag on the trunk lid saying so-)--other changes :larger brake peddle , blunt dash knobs ,the ugliest steering wheel made by ford ,soft window crank knobs , fold up door handles , the knee pad below the dash and numerious other changes
doctordesoto
lets not forget bright windshield wiper arms and blade assys and bolted on inside rear view mirrors too

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Al, It's kinda early to be drinking so much at the nudie bar where your "pair" mindset has confused you. The three spoke steering wheel beats up on any two spoke version.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
LOL. It's never too early for the nudie bar. Especially after reading the latest issue of Big-Uns. I like the '68 steering wheel. And I have a unique sense of style developed from years of selling women's shoes. Let's rock.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So what you are saying is Cougar Nudie bar tour 2012? Plans in the mix?

·
Registered
74 Posts
My car was made in Detroit and shipped to California to Ford Aeronautics. It has marker lights that illuminate in the rear quarter panels. See pictures. Does anyone know or have seen this before?http://

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Are there numbers on the back of the plug? Are there numbers on the lens, if not then it looks to me like it originated as a late eighties early 90s interior door panel light based on the look of the plug.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts