Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Shouldn´t be too much hassle, you will need to some cutting and welding to lengthen the chassis tho, as the Cougar has a longer wheel base than a Mustang

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
They would make the chassis to the proper length for you. No modding needed.
You might need to take your car to them so they can measure and assess fitment points themselves. Or, if you want them to go ahead and mount the car on the chassis for you.
They'll work all that out with you on the phone.

The Schwartz chassis is a great thing if you're serious about performance.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yo Andy, i too saw on the site that he custom makes the frames to fit what you want, but sh0x asked what would be needed to do to fit a Cougar body onto a Mustang chassis, so that´s what i answered to, i recon he´d wanted to get a run of the mill chassis to save a few bucks, instead of paying to have one custom made, and do the needed fabrication work done by himself

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I would probably just go ahead and pay them to make it to fit your car if it costs extra. At 18 grand, what is another 1 or 2 thousand.

If anyone around here does get their paws on one, let me know. I would love to "borrow" it for a while so I could reverse engineer it.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
May the Shwartz be with you.

The sceptic in me wonders if all that trouble is worth it. Might you not achieve the same result with connectors & the x cage currently avail?

It looks nice for the SEMA crowd though...

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
"I see your shwartz is bigger than mine."

Sorry, couldn't help myself......

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - you guys beat me to it! Dang it....<sigh> That's a serious chunk -o- change to drop..... I'd look around and consider other options before pulling the trigger. Sombody on here built a very nice xmemberframe tie setup up --- having a brain fart on who at the moment

Here it is JIMF made some very nice frame connectors: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?51541-Custom-Sub-Frame-Connectors&highlight=subframe+connector
you could x brace them if needed....depending on what you plan to do. As is would really help a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
LOL - you guys beat me to it! Dang it....<sigh> That's a serious chunk -o- change to drop..... I'd look around and consider other options before pulling the trigger. Sombody on here built a very nice xmemberframe tie setup up --- having a brain fart on who at the moment

Here it is JIMF made some very nice frame connectors: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?51541-Custom-Sub-Frame-Connectors&highlight=subframe+connector
you could x brace them if needed....depending on what you plan to do. As is would really help a lot.
to each his own... You beat me to this one, dang it

post # 22

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I would probably just go ahead and pay them to make it to fit your car if it costs extra. At 18 grand, what is another 1 or 2 thousand.

If anyone around here does get their paws on one, let me know. I would love to "borrow" it for a while so I could reverse engineer it.
Go buy a GM A Body frame and use that as a template/testbed. Dollars down frame template for the Cougar. Lots of old rusted Chevelles in GA that would be good donors. Gives a good idea of square, proportion, tube type and diameter needed, etc. Good for 1st and 2nd revision chassis development. Then a final revision could be handmade.
Probably cost you about 4k in steel and welding supplies to do 3 revisions and get it the way you want. But, lowering the Cat onto your own tube chassis and driving it would be priceless.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It appears to me the $18K is not just for the frame. It includes all the suspension and rear end parts. That would be a coil over front end and an independent rear suspension.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the responses. I called Shwartz and sure enough they would build a frame 3" longer. Here are some details they provided on the components used.

"We use a brand new AGR power rack. The front suspension is our own design. It features - greasable ball bearings instead of bushings in the control arms so they won't break or wear out. All of the parts we use up front are easy to get, replace or adjust for the owner. In the rear we use a Moser full floating 9 inch, which is bullet proof and uses all standard 9 inch parts for ease of replacement. The only proprietary parts on our suspension is the steering arms, caliper brackets and spindles, those we build in house."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts