Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow Super Cougar Enthusiast and I are in a research project to determine which of the 3 types of lighter knobs (1967 to 1970 years) is correct for the 69 console. I need to see pictures of everyones console lighter if possible. There is some debate over which lighter knob is correct for the 1969 only console. So weigh in with those pictures and lets set the record straight.:eek2:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I would like to send you a picture of mine, if I had one, but my 'lighter' is now my ignition switch...............:)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
you have a lighter in you console?!?!?

·
11,000 Posts
Lighter Pic

I pulled the lighters out of all four Cougars. All say "CUNO 12V" on the element portion. I believe this to be the correct lighter for all 67 - 68 Cougars, don't know about 69-70.

Here's the picture.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
only lighter i got is the 1 in the sdash and no lighter in the console. I dont think 70s had 1 in the console, but i may be wrong there.
thanks
pat

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
OK Catz Look on page 20 of the 69 owners manual and then tell us what you'd think is correct for 69 consoles (which have lighters in console not on dash). A call to Ford told me the replacement lighter is the chrome knobed one but page twenty shows something completely different. Another point is that the lighter knob in 70s and I suspect 69 consoles is pot metal.While this may seem like nothing special some of the 70 knobs are plastic not potmetal. All 69 knobs are potmetal. Anyway hopefully someone somewhere who knows something will share.
Catzyaz

·
Registered
448 Posts
Lighter

Cougman,
I just pulled the lighter from the console on my 69. I believe it to be original to the car, it does not work (I don't smoke, so I don't care). It is identical to the 4 Royce has pictured and has CUNO 12V on the side of the casing, and appears to be chrome plated pot metal. Again, the ones Royce has in his picture are identical to the one in my 69 XR7 Console.
Paul Garvin
69 Xr7 Convertible

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have one that looks just like the ash tray knob, the others either look like the ones above or are definitely aftermarket. Unfortunately I don't know if the odd one out was an extra ash tray knob used to make it look right or if it is original.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone. 70 consoles did not have lighters in them. Only 1969 consoles. The 70 lighter was mover to the dash where the ignition was for 69 to fill the hole. There are several differences between the 69 and 70 consoles. Though they will fit into each year car, they are not correct ( as original).
Most original 69 consoles seem to have the same lighter as the 67/68 cougars that Royce showed. The owners manual depicts one similar to the dash knobs but few 69 consoles seem to have it in them. There still seems to be some mystery here.
69 and 70 cougars without consoles had a lighter and ashtray mounted under the center of the dash and it used a 3rd type of lighter knob. Looks the same as the dash knobs but longer and smaller in diameter. It is unigue to the 69 and 70 cougars without factory consoles as well. The search continues for more evidence of the correct lighter knob for the 69. Any other help out there?
Thanks Ray for your all your help.
C-MAN.....

·
Registered
488 Posts
not much of a search actually, just run your fingers through the parts book. first note that 70 with or without console had the same lighter as it is in the dash hole occupied by the ignition switch in a 69 and it matches the rest of the dash knobs. a 70 ashtray for a non console car is full width where a 69 ashtray is only part of the panel and the lighter occupies the rest of the space. the 69 non console lighter is the C8AZ-15052-A part that matches the dash knobs and is actually the same knob as used on the ashtray next to it (but when the screw them into the ashtray they destroy the threads!). the ford parts book specifically calls for the same knob on a 69 console car as the 67/8 car that royce was kind enough to post a picture of which is a C7ZZ-15052-A. now to really throw a fly in the works i have a dealer counter top display of replacement lighters and it is the C8AZ style but the part number is C9ZZ-15052-A which is not shown in any of my parts books! hawkrod

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Hawkrod. That info really helps. I thought I was correct in the fact that the 69 console uses the 67/68 lighter knob. The fly in the works on your dealer display of lighters is very strange though. An interesting subject and a bunch of new info for all of us. The CCOA judging at the Nationals will be able to make use of this info so everyone check your lighters. You may need to make a change.
C-MAN......

·
Registered
448 Posts
Lighter

I think Hawk hit it right on the head. My 69 Console lighter is edentical to all four of Royce's 68 C8AZ lighters.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
1970 xr7. this is what is in there.

·
Registered
488 Posts
bowl said:
1970 xr7. this is what is in there.
well the bad news is that is a 1969 console. the 1970 console does not have the lighter or the seat belt pockets. those are the two things that are the difference between a 69 and a 70 console. there was no need for a lighter on the console in a 70 because it was in the dash. hawkrod

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
1970 xr7 you have a 1969 console.
What does this C9ZZ look like? C8AZ is a 68 # so what about 67s? What is the part # for the knob on 70s? If is a C9# then I say its a 69 knob however of the 70 lighter knob comes up as a D0# then we have our answer. I'm well aware most consoles 69 across the land have the C8AZ replacement lighter same as 67/8s however page twenty clearly shows the knob to be same as dash knobs in style.
Hawkrod states the lighter knob for underdash and for ash tray are same as each other and C8#s but thats incorrect as 68s did not have this style of knob. This syle did not appear till 69. C8AZ # is likely the chrome lighter knob which is not what was used on the ashtrays underdashin 69.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Bowl No aqua consoles in 70 either. Aqua consoles are rare due to a one year production 69. The box is diff as is wire harness and the box bracket tween 69s and 70s as well as the cups and lighter.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ray said:
1970 xr7 you have a 1969 console.
What does this C9ZZ look like? C8AZ is a 68 # so what about 67s? What is the part # for the knob on 70s? If is a C9# then I say its a 69 knob however of the 70 lighter knob comes up as a D0# then we have our answer. I'm well aware most consoles 69 across the land have the C8AZ replacement lighter same as 67/8s however page twenty clearly shows the knob to be same as dash knobs in style.
Hawkrod states the lighter knob for underdash and for ash tray are same as each other and C8#s but thats incorrect as 68s did not have this style of knob. This syle did not appear till 69. C8AZ # is likely the chrome lighter knob which is not what was used on the ashtrays underdashin 69.
methinks you misread my post. the console and 67/8 lighters are a C7ZZ lighter, the 69 non console is a C8AZ ligher and is used in fullsize 68 fords as well as 69 mustang and cougar without a console. the C9ZZ ones i have are identical to the C8AZ unit so i can not explain why it has a different part number. the 70 is a D0ZZ unit for all 1970 mustang and cougar. also note that the knob pictured on the console in the owners manual is the C8AZ but according to the parts book it is incorrect and since the owners manuals are sent out to the printer before any cars are actually fully assembled they usually do show items that are slightly different from actual production. note that the first printing of the owners manual is dated july of 68 which means they had the artwork 2-3 months before the production even began. obviously the expense of updating the owners manual for something like a picture is not worth it so it is rarely done and when done it is only for significant changes. hawkrod

1 - 20 of 29 Posts