Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey steelcat. It looks like your cat could use some steel. LOL Those are really nice pictures of your garage floor. LMAO

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
wow, cant say ive ever really seen anything like that here in California, land of rust free cars. hmm, maybe that should be our slogan.... but anyway, next worse case of rust i saw was on a VW 21 Window bus. that came from Wisconson though.... it was never repaired...

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Deja Vu!

Man....have you been sneaking around my shop there Steelcat? Looks like pics of my floor :D My kitty has about the same problems :cry:

Oh well....at least now I know I'm not the only one with a lot of work cut out for them...if I ever get the time to tackle it. Have you sourced you're new floor pans as yet? I would be interested in where you found your new metal and your experience is attaining it....I haven't started my search as yet, but I need to get scratching on that one real soon.

Keep me posted on your progress....

Thanks for the reminder eh!:1poke:

Dale

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
here is my rust

I bought a 1967 XR7GT and for 3 years collected parts to fix it back up, but decided it was too much project for my budget. It was hard for me to sell because it was a 1967 XR7GT complete 390 C6 9in Car... Rust Sucks I was hopeful until I took out the rear seat and the floors were rusty as well.. If the original owner had just put a cheap cover on it... I would be driving it today.(maybe he wouldn't have sold it then huh?)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
One more

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
show me rust

You can get a complete floor kit,I got mine from mustangsunlimited for 399.95 everything you need all pre bent.Cut out old floor put in new than weld.I called a welder came to me did the job less than 2 hours took me about 6to8 hours to cut out old floor just like a puzzle.:D steelcat 70 XR7 ragtop

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
wow, im not trying to make fun or bash or anything, just stating how it is here in southern Cali. i am VERY thankful of the abundance of rust free cars out here. ( once again, im not bashing your car ) The last 2 Cougars i saw at the junkyard had so much less rust on them than that. my god, are we so spoiled that even our junkyard cars seem in better shape than some of the cars people are restoring out there? wow, only in California i guess. i look forward to seeing the car done and all shiny again to its former glory. rust is good for one thing though... more dramatic before and after pics :D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Steelcat,

Steelcat,

I certainly hope you also installed new inner rocker panels at the same time you did the floors!

For those who don't understand what I'm talking about, Ford added an additional frame member on the convertibles to try to strengthen them up a bit. If you look at the 'before' pic of Steelcat's car, look at the area where the floor meets the rocker panel. See that rusted out panel there? That's the inner rocker. I f you look at your basic hardtop, it doesn't have that piece with the 45 degree bend protruding inboard of the rocker panel-to-door sill seam. Also, convertibles have the bolt-on heavy plate under the car in the seat area that goes under the driveshaft. Again, that is to try to tie the car together a little better.

My one buddy rebuilt a convertible Mustang in a little worse shape than Steelcat's cat. I think the only exterior body panels that were reused were the top-to-decklid filler panel and the two outer rocker panels. Even at that, he had to patch the front frame rails, replace both the front and rear fender aprons, core support, full floors, trunk floor, both rear frame rails, front torque boxes.... All that work to 'save' a 351C-CJ four speed convert. Oh, and this was before he got the mig welder, so the structural stuff was either arc welded or gas welded in, and the other panels brazed. Talk about work!

·
Registered
669 Posts
AAHHhh northeast cars. I bought my '68 when I lived in the northeast and my floor was so bad I had to replace the seat platform since it could no longer hold the seat!! Aslo replaced 1.5 ft of rear rails, both torque boxes and part of the front rails. Oh also had to box parts of the engine compartment rails and later redo part of the rear rails near the front of the leaf spring mounts. Also replaced both 1/4's along with other body parts. Now living a long time in So. Fl. I get to remove the vinyl top and contend with the car now rusting from the top down, holes around my backglass presently hidden by the vinyl top, and replace the hood!! I could go on but would run out of room!!!! I will never buy a rusty car again!!!!:mad:
(except for the minor stuff).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
show me some rust

I did replace both inner rockers and what ever floor pans that had rust.Hears a picture :D steelcat 70 XR7 ragtop

1 - 17 of 17 Posts