Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have questions about the shoulder belts on a '68 cougar standard. My car has the shoulder strap. But, the buckle is missing. I have tried to find pictures of Cougars with these straps to see, but have had no luck. The console has the two "holes" in it for, from what I've read, the shoulder buckle. So, my question is, what the deal with this buckle? Is it the same kind of buckle as the lap belt? Does it simply mount to the same anchor as the lap belt buckle? There also seems to be an insert at the roof mount for the male part of the strap. It's not a very tight fit and someone put velcro on the strap to hold it up when not in use. Am I right with this?

Thanks,

Greg Wilkerson

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
How many belts with buckles are bolted to the floor? sometimes, the second buckle is hidden under the seat

Jean

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only one. I suppose, by your answer, the second one would bolt to the same anchor.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link. That answers quite a few questions.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
1968 Seat Belts with Shoulders had 2 separate belts on the Console-Trans Tunnel Side. 1 for the Retractor-Lap Belt and another for the Shoulder Harness. Both of these Belts mount to the Trans Tunnel with the Same Bolt. In 1969 these 2 Belts got sewn together and were 2 Belts connected at the End. 1970 changed again, the Shoulders Clipped in to the Lap Belt. The Velcro is Factory, as far as I know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts