Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I just got in a 69 XR7 convertible, M code, with factory air and disc brakes. The car is rough, not just from rust but from an accident. The car was a theft recovery which was then written off by the insurance company. I was not given a title for the car, but a certificate of destruction was offered. With work (maybe an out of state title) I might be able to get one. The car was a light green with white interior. It's now red with a strangely recovered white interior. The car also has no drivetrain, all that's left was a 4bbl carb. The entire radiator and side core support has been replaced with a 68 cougar version, which does not fit and must be totally redone. The car has rust and would need a lot of bodywork. The frame rails and trunk are in nice shape, however. Essentially this car is in need of a total restoration. I would like some opinions on what to do on the car. While it is rough, I haven't seen many project cars that aren't. I was almost hoping someone on here might want it for a project, as it would be really nice when done and just needs a hardtop parts car to make it complete. It would make a great restomod for someone, too.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well, from what you have said it seems to be a parts car to me. But I am in California and our cars are not that rough when it comes to rust. Sounds like it may not have a clear title either. Just my opinion but I think its a goner.

Tad.

Not to be mistaken every cougar is worth saving! And I hope this one gets saved.

·
Registered
448 Posts
cougar parts

I think you should sell me the convertible top trim and the passenger side wheel well molding, and possibly the A pillar trims if all are in good shape :)
Paul Garvin
69XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is the rimblow wheel still there? I would be interested in it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Title

I don't think you'll ever be able to get a complete clean title again, but you will need the Certifacte of Destruction to try and then you will most likely get a salvage Title. If you got the car restored, the fact that the insurance company totaled it will always follow it. I have a friend who wrecked his classic duster. Took around $5K to get it fixed, Insurance company paid $4500 and totaled the car. He took the money, bought it back from the insurance company, and fixed it, but now he as a salvaged title. All it does is let any future owners know it has been totaled out in its past. On a classic car, I don't view that as bad, as insurance companys don't view these cars as having a lot of value, on a newer model car say a 2001 or so...a salvaged title can be really bad news. Just my .02

·
Registered
889 Posts
dont do it

I have to part my 69 convertable first.Or my be we can take your body and my mechanical parts and put one togeather.I got a clean title plus a duplicate.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I was all set to answer this question and then I read 69cat's post. He literally took the words tright out of my mouth except I don't know anyone with a classic Duster. So there really is nothing more that I can add.

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
Classic's

LOL...Got the point on the Duster, but isn't anything pre-73 a classic???? LOL not that I would want a Mopar, but it takes all types don't you know.....

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I wasn't trying to joke around. I truely don't know ANYBODY with ANYKIND of Duster, Classic or not.

Mark

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My son and I have decided that we are going to part the car out due to the cost and labor to try and salvage it. We hate to do it but it seems like the best choice. We will have some parts for sale and I will let him handle that after we finish with the large ( 1000) Fords and Mustang show this weekend here in Ocala sponsored by NPD at Silver Springs theme park. There should be approximately 20 Cougars there from the Sunshine State Cougar Club, including two of our cars. We will let you know what is available very soon. Thanks for the responses.

Jim

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wvcat,

Oh well, maybe we could meet again in Duluth like we did last summer. We were the guys from Fl. that picked up the parts car and had it on the trailer at the Nationals. How's the weather in W.V. ?, going to be cold down here in the morning, low 30's.brrr!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Oh I remember you guys. You beat us all to a bargain...lol On the way home from work tonight you could barely see the snow was coming down so hard. Its 19 degrees right now and the snow has stopped. We are supposed to have snow for days on and off til around tuesday I think. Glad I bought that 4wd ranger for a winter truck!!!
John
wvcat

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
unless you have a better parts car to resurrect this"gem" I would part it out to help offset the costs of doing a viable restoration. I'm interested in the 4barrel carb if its an original.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got home from the show( 1400 cars signed up, 1000 attended including nearly 30 Cougars) and will try to answer inquiries. The steering wheel is not XR7, the conv trim and wheel well trim is already spoken for. I do have a set of pitted conv trim if you don't have any at all. We need to verify type of carb and may use it as a core to Pony Carbs. Any other needs are welcome and thanks again for the responses.

Jim

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I have convertible trims for sale and I also can rechrome them and any other pot metal bits.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Pony carbs are very expennsive to deal with. Any competant rebuilder should be able to rebuilt the carb for you for ~$100 maybe $150.Try asking you local parts source for an exchange carb and consider the $200 savings. I'd like to find correct # carbs for my 351s but as they are only 450 cfm and I like 600s not a real big deal but I would purchase correct carbs if I could find them.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ray,

I am glad you responded. My son and I have both tried to email you on some your work, Email me @ [email protected] with your price on conv trim rechromes. My son wanted to talk to you about steering wheel restoration. Thanks.

Jim

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
yes for some reason I was not getting notified of posts or replies so now thats fixed here I am available to help catz out any way I can. Top trims are $90 each to rechrome and the stainless bits(2) are $25 each to polish. The wheel restos are $100 for woodgraining the rim $50 to reband the shiny strip and $25 insured return postage. A few cracks are $25 and a lot of cracks are $50.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts