Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 69 351W Eliminator, that has had FMX replaced with 4spd and cruse control disabled as a result. I have resisted changing anything else from original (not wanting to destroy value).

I however like to customize mostly mechanicals and handling items. Should i leave it alone or go for it?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Well, if you do customize it, be sure to save all of the original parts so if you do sell it you can put it back to original, or give the parts to the buyer so he can decide. I was going to keep mine original until I found that the original motor was taken out of it, now that it isn't a number matching car I don't feel bad at all modifying it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
modify or no

Swamp,
Modify all you want, just make sure everything is reversible. By the way, I have an original FMX from a 351 4V 69 Cougar Convertible. Is it worth anything?
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible (now with C-6)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like driving the 4spd. It just feels like i have more control plus there is no converter slippage.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
its your car and since it is a elim it will comand just as high a price if not more with the 4 speed IMO. bottom line its you cat do what ya want make yourself happy you are driving it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Original trans vs 4spd

I wholeheartedly agree that a 4 speed is more fun to drive, and if I did not alraedy have a C6 for the 428 im building for my Cougar I'd go that route. But there is no chance whatsoever that a car with a non-correct trans will be worth more than a matching/correct trans car. It may get more in the short term from someone who wants the car that way, but if you own any specialty car such as an Eliminator, GTE etc. it will always be worth more in the long run with the correct original parts. Collectors do not pay big bucks for modified cars down the road unless they are factory race cars or some other special exception. Just ask the guys who are fortunate enough to own a correct Shelby Mustang, GTE, 428 CJ Eliminator, 428 CJ XR7 Convertible, BOSS 302 stang or Cougar...Etc...etc...etc.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Its up to you

Swamper,
it all depends on what you wanna do to it.You can leave the body stock n upgrade the drivetrain.Like you already have to the tranny.Ihave a 70 eliminator here that the 1st to the last previous owner decided to make a drag car out of this.And the 3 speed manual was taken out and had a fmx installed.So all in all it depends .Hows the body? Any damage? color change?Its a matter of how far you wanna go.And I`m sure you`ll be happy with your decision. As i know we all are with the outcomes of our cougars.
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 eliminator

·
Registered
269 Posts
Go for it. The longer you plan on keeping the car the more worth while it will be for you to make it the way you want it to be. Changes to mechanical and handling is easy to reverse later (when you keep the parts). It does however kill me when people cut and paste in cars that aren't made any more. An upgraded engine, rack and pinion steering, Global West suspension and a locking differential surely would give you plenty of smiles per gallon.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The body is fully restored no rust, straight, original color.
I took it all the way down removing seam sealer cleaning body seams and resealed. I did change the type of sound deadners from originals. The fiber with plastic is too fragile. Floors are neopreem, doors, quarters and fire wall foil faced bubble, and top is quilted foil faced. It has deadner where nothing was used at all on original. The ride is quiet. This stuff is all hidden and does a better job than originals and were recommended by local custom Ford restorer.
Some PO changed instrument cluster to XR7 from camra case. I will try to find an other to get this back original. When I assembled I didn't know there was a difference. The mannuals showed instruments and wireing the same.

I do appreciate the comments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts