Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have my marti report but it does not have a console listed in the options. But I have a console that came with the Elim when I bought it.

I wanted to ask because I dont know if it was part of the decor package or what. Also if this was a dealer install how do you find out if it was for sure.

Also if it was is the insert supposed to be black like the camara case or wood grain.

Thanks.

Tad.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Tad,
My 60 390 standard Cougar has "Console" listed as one of its options on my Marti report. But it is not a Eliminator and does not have the decor interor. You may want to call Keven to see if it got missed on the report or just use it any way. I don't think it would hurt the value of the finished car any. Do you have any new pictures of the work you've done so far? Neal.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Neal.

I do have some new pics but haven't had a chance to upload them off of my brothers camara. I really want to get them uploaded on my webpage soon. Mainly I have been working on my brothers cougar, we are hoping to have it running this weekend. We fixed his door problem, the problem was it wasent there.....LOL. My doner car has paid for itself like 100 times over I swear. And this weekend we droped a doner moter in until he gets his original rebuilt.

Tad.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tad, My Marti report lists the console for my 69 Eliminator. I also have the Dealer invoice and the Console is listed as a separate item "Sports Console". It doesn't look like it was part of the Decor Group. The Decor Group on my invoive lists - Curb Molding, Rim Blow, Custom Door Trim, Rear Seat Arm Rests, Door Mounted Courtesy Lights, and Padded Interior Trim. As for the insert, mine doesn't have one. Mine is all black. I have seen other ones with the insert though. I have pictures of 69 Eliminators that have the insert. Both Auto and Standard. I think the woodgrain trim attaches with bolts so there would be some sort of holes in top of your console behind the shifter opening. My console doesn't have any holes so I guess mine didn't come with the woodgrain. The woodgrain has a chrome trim around it so it must be an additional piece. Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
448 Posts
dash switches

Tad,
I just noticed in the picture you posted, that there are switches in the dash above the air vent. I may be wrong, but I though these were an XR7 item only. Does it say anything about them on your Marti report. Any other Elim owners out there have the swithces as well.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Consol

Tad,
My Eliminator was a factory delete on the consol, and kinda looks funny to me without it. I think they look better dressed with the consol and would like to put one in mine. There's my $.02...
I'm waiting on the invoice from Dearborn, when I get it I'll post what It says for you.
shane

·
Registered
906 Posts
After 34 years, many cars end up with far different options then they came with from the factory. The Marti Report is not wrong, your car was just simply not ordered with a console. A previous owner added it some time ago. Eliminators were more about speed and graphics then luxury, anyway. If you are still unsure, ording an Eminger report is your next step. For a fair price, (around 40 dollars) they send you the original FoMoCo build sheet from the factory. It's very cool, actually, as the checks are on the options from the factory workers checking them off as they go down the assembly line. Lois Eminger in the full name, I believe. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
906 Posts
"Factory delete" on the console? The Sports console was simply not ordered on your car, Wrink. They were a factory option, by itself just like all the others. It was not included in either the Eliminator, XR7, Sports Special, or decor packages. There was a "mini console", but that is just an ashtray that is standard on all Cougars of that year, except maybe standard (non-XR7, non decor) cars. The toggle switches are XR7 pieces, not Eliminator. Your Eliminator blackout pieces, TLogan, were replaced by the previous owner, probably from the same car that console came from. Good luck finding the Eliminator piece for your restoration. They are virtually impossible to come by. Rarer then any NOS part you'll ever find.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats ok. I think I will just leave the console and the switches

The console is easy to remove and the switches can be removed if my rare as all hell piece ever shows up then I will replace it. I will try and stay as original as possible and not add things that cant be easily removed if I ever go concourse.

Thanks for all the help folks. This information is great. If I go to a show I will be able to remove some of the stuff that I will loose points on.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Consol

The consol is not listed anywhere, guess I'm SOL.
Can sombody post a picture of the impossible to find pieces, I have never seen a consol in a 69. Are they the same as 70?
I have seen a real fine 70 Elim, close up.
Thanks to all for the info,
Hey Tad, you said one time you were looking for the white int-Mrs. C chose a leather for the new redo, very, very sharp... The estimate for the job was nearly $4500! I nearly has a stroke!
Very sharp, very expensive... The same upholstry shop priced the same job in black for $2100. Sometimes the white is not nearly as appealing.
It will definately be a while before we spend that much.
shane:1poke:

·
Registered
488 Posts
just a point of fact

just in case somebody reads that old thread and takes it as gospel i want to point out that all 69 consoles do have seat belt slots. deluxe or standard seat belts did not matter (if it did why do convertibles have slots?). the august 68 parts book only lists one type of console insert panel and if there were two they would be listed because the book was released during production and only covers 1969 and there are no rvisions like the later MPC. shoulder harness were not part of the deluxe seat belt package. all 69's made for us distribution was suppossed to have shoulder harness as it was required by federal law on all vehicles made after jan 01 68. deluxe seat belts on a 68 or 69 just means you have a chrome ring on the plastic part of the buckle as opposed to a solid colored plastic buckle. hawkrod

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I had wondered about the shoulder harnesses and was told since that link that the deluxe belts were chrome. I did not know that the seatbelt cups came on all 69s.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I understand things right
On my 70 convertible I should only have seat belt that don´t go over the shoulder ? or ?

As the car came to Sweden at -1973
They had to put in Seat belts that was authoriesed by Swedish law ( KLIPPAN BILBÄLTE )
I am looking for original seat belts , but there seams to be hard to find here in sweden. If anyone have a kit for sale . please let me know ( hope for Ginger or black )
Tommy

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thanks Hawkrod! I stand corrected by your theory. I was going by some owners that I questioned personally that swore there car was 100% pure. That includes one guy who was the original owner! Thats why I was pretty sure and it made sense to me. mm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts