Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black interior in my 69 sport special which i'm probably going to sell. The front seats are shot but I have a mint pair or red buckets. Should I dye them black? has anyone dyed seats before? if so how did they come out? any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
seats

I have heard of this working so long as the seats are absolutly clean. But I have not tried it.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I did it on my 62 Comet seats. They were in great shape but brown. I only did the back seat and put covers on the front though. They have to be spotless (use a good wax and grease remover after washing them), and dry before any dye is uesd, but they turned out awesome. I also did the arm rets and dash in black. You can dye the fronts, let them dry, then put covers on for cruizng then take them off for shows, so they dont flatten out as much.

Rick

·
Registered
44 Posts
Funny You Should Mention It...

found a nice black bucket seat for the Cat tonight while questing for clean white delux door panels (the ones I have are really nice, once you get past the gaping holes where kraco co-axials once roosted:cry: ) and I was wondering how it'd turn out if I tried to go black to white...lol...(i already know its gonna be a bugger)...maybe i'll just go black on the interior as well....but I kinda liked the blk/white combo i have now....hmmm:rolleyes: :D PEACE to all you fellow box scratchers

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I died my entire interior from Ivy green to Black.

I used a product recommended to me called "Molecubond", which is available at Pep Boys... It works AWESOME and two years later the seats still look brand new.

It's 9.95 a can and to do a pair of buckets you'll need 4 cans.

·
Registered
433 Posts
seat dye

Think I may try this. I am aleays seeing mustang seats on ebay, so maybe I'll pick up a set and dye em' parchment. Is it possible to go from say blue to the lighter tan color?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Going from darker colors to lighter colors just requires more liberal use of dye. Do it in 3 or 4 light coats and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I just did my 89 lx stang seats dk blue (they were red), and the dash out of my 70 parts car (was dk green). like they say, use a wax and greese remover, the hardest work is always the prep. I got the dye at pep boys also but all the had was plasticoat brand but it worked great. the did have a close color match but my interior has sort of a metal flake to the vynil so i also got a can of pasticoat met flake blue and misted the parts from about a foot and a half away and just dusted them, after 10 min i wiped off the o-spay with a paper towel, i was suprised at how close to the original it came out. i will have to take a pic of the dash and post it here.
The bad part is the 89 hi back seats have cloth inserts and they do not want to change color so i will have to put new skins on them, no big deal, it will look better anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts