Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used a set of shortie headers, newer 5.0 style, in the 69-70 cougars with a 351w? How well do they fit? Are they easy to put in? I am toying with the idea of using the GT40P heads and shortie headers to clear the plugs. :confused:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had already read thru that post before I posted this new thread and it did not address shorty headers, other then a short mention as an option. I would like to hear from any members that have actually used the shorty headers on their cars.:1zhelp:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'm sorry. I thought that you were toying with the idea of GT40 heads and shorty headers. Thought that you wanted info on the GT40s as well as the headers. Have you looked at FPA to see what they offer for shorties for the 351W?

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Yeah, I am looking for info on the shorty headers as well, and no one seems to know. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no cougar shortie headers on FPA

I looked on FPA's web site and nothing is listed for shorties for the 351w in the cougar chassis. Also none of their footnotes show any info on fit for the GT40P heads. I will try some other header manufactures from work tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
crap, only shortie headers i know of are i think PN 88220 or 8220 Hedmans for 351W in 69 and 70 Cougs and Stangs and whatnot. i almost bought a set of those until i saw how much clearence i really do have with full length ones on my car. i liked the headers. i reccomend them highly. they did give me a good increase in power and even torque ( i expected to lose a lil torque when they went on ) i say go for it . i dont like the idea of using 302 headers on a 351 car though. had some and they didnt fit withtin the shock towers. but in the confines of a newer car the design might have gotten tighter. hell why not invest a few bucks at the local junk and pull some stock tube manifolds off of a newer 5.0L and test them out? shouldnt hurt the wallet that much.

·
Registered
433 Posts
shorties

I considered the 5.0 stock headers for my 68 with a 302. My friend tried them on his 68 Stang with a 289 (I think) and they didn't even come close though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I talked to the "tech" guy at Hooker Headers when I bought my headers for my '69-351w. He told me that ( as far as horse power increases, etc.), the shorty style headers are about half way between stock exhaust manifolds and full length headers. They do make more power than stock but not as much as full length headers. I figured that if I was doing the job anyway, might as well go all the way! There was ample room, Even though the job was a pain, it was worth it. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts