Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that she is solidly running like a scalded cat, I finally decided that I was ready to install the stereo and the center console. After doing this, I now have a short in the dash light circuit.

I have the FSM ... but I am not sure EXACTLY what things are wired to the fuse which supplies power to the Dash lights.

From what I recall, that fuse supplies power to the dash lights and the "cigar lighter" ... does this mean that it supplies power to the cig lighter (and not some other light by the cig lighter) ? ... in addition, does it also supply power to the little lighted bulb on the PRND21 indicator ? Any other circuits which get power from that fuse ?

·
Registered
391 Posts
The dash lights are not wired to the same circuit as the radio itself. The radio, PRND21 light, and backup lights are all on one 14 amp fuse. The radio pilot light is wired with the other dash lights and interior lights on a separate fuse.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You used the wire for the original radio dial lamp as the ground for your new radio.
Nope ... pretty sure I didn't ... the old radio had a two prong plug which supplied keyed power and ground (I measured them) ... this is where I got power and ground from for the new radio.

... AND ... new stereo works fine ....

... when I switch on the dash lights, the fuse blows (even with a 10 amp fuse) ...

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Hear me now believe me later. The two prong plug is power for the radio, and also power for the light in the radio. The new stereo is grounded just like the old one through the chassis and the antenna connection. Disconnect the "ground" wire and your problems will hopefully be solved. Putting a bigger fuse in just burns up more expensive parts, like the dimmer coil in the headlight switch, which may now be fried. If you doubt what I am telling you, take a look at the cars wiring diagram.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nope ... pretty sure I didn't ... the old radio had a two prong plug which supplied keyed power and ground (I measured them) ... this is where I got power and ground from for the new radio.

... AND ... new stereo works fine ....

... when I switch on the dash lights, the fuse blows (even with a 10 amp fuse) ...
If you measure the illumination wire with the lights of, it will often measure as being a ground. Once you turn the lights on, the voltage will jump to 12V. Check it with a test light or multimeter and you'll see what xr7g428 means.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
You used the wire for the original radio dial lamp as the ground for your new radio.

How many times have we had this one -

Maybe our super moderator can get our new owners (who have gone very quiet lately) to create a FAQ section and we can put in a couple of stickies like

. problems to avoid
. common issues to resolve
. how to convert from vacuum to electric headlight cover motors

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Amen Bill! Bigger fuse=bad idea 99.9% of the time!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool ... sounds like you guys got it ... I'll take a look at it asap ...

Thank You !!!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
How many times have we had this one -

Maybe our super moderator can get our new owners (who have gone very quiet lately) to create a FAQ section and we can put in a couple of stickies like

. problems to avoid
. common issues to resolve
. how to convert from vacuum to electric headlight cover motors
I have PM'ed Helena with your request Leon. Thanks.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
There is a "Technical Article" section on the left hand side of the homepage. Couldn't we use that for FAQs and the desired DIY section?
We could probably create some sub forums sections within that section - but you really need something with a standout headline to get people to look for an answer

Headlines like

Common Problems
Modification How To's
Maintenance

rather than a catch all like Technical articles

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I agree that a single catch all is not the best idea. I'm not sure a forum is the best way to present articles. I prefer something with a central article that could be edited by the original author, moderators or everyone depending on what people want and where people could make comments like the Technical Articles section. A wiki might be even better like the one affiliated with hotrodders.com: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Crankshaft_Coalition_Wiki

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
A wiki was started here: www.mercurycougarwiki.net Not much there.

It is kind of funny as i started a similar thread here: http://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147&p=903#p903

I think that for new Cougar owners it would be very helpful to have a road map that points out the known obvious faults that need to be fixed. The questions, just like the one in this thread are not dumb questions, and searching for them is not easy to do: what would you search for here? blows fuses? You might get 1000 results.

·
Administrator
304 Posts
OK so where would you like the forum section? what sub section would you like? what would you like the forums to be names? and lastly would someone like to moderate the forum section?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I think it should be in the community section. How about Classic Cougar How To's. This is a forum for you to find answers about common problems and upgrades for your classic Cougar. Subsections could be Popular Mods, Troubleshooting Common Issues, Maintenance Recommendations.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Helena

Thanks. We probably need to mull this over a bit so we get the structure right

It should probably be the first section under Cougar Community and labelled something like "Read This : Common Questions, Technical Solutions and Modifications"

We probably need to start a new thread and get more input

1 - 17 of 17 Posts