Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAM_3300.jpg Hi Guys, I have totally rebuilt my 71 cougar and all a long avoided the A/C, Well the time has come and i had a look at the big A/c box under the dash and it looks rusted and the wiring is all cut a further look to the side the fan looks rusted out.When i got the car there were no compressor or anything in the engine bay, so i think somebody has just cut it all out.Watching one of the hot rod shows i noticed them installing aftermarket brand new A/C,so i dont know the cost or were to get it and how to fit it, nis there a cheap alternative besides opening and closing windows?

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The guys at Classic Auto Air in Florida ship to Australia all the time. You can also arrange to have it included in someones container from LA and make sure you have a certificate to say that it has never been charged with gas so customs don't delay the clearance (they are being right pricks at the moment with imported classic stuff) http://www.classicautoair.com/

Hopefully they didn't remove the a/c pulleys as 3 groove cleveland pulleys can be hard to get.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guys at Classic Auto Air in Florida ship to Australia all the time. You can also arrange to have it included in someones container from LA and make sure you have a certificate to say that it has never been charged with gas so customs don't delay the clearance (they are being right pricks at the moment with imported classic stuff) http://www.classicautoair.com/

Hopefully they didn't remove the a/c pulleys as 3 groove cleveland pulleys can be hard to get.
Thanks leon i will follow that up

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
How many 3-groove Cleveland pulleys do you want? All four of my '73s had a/c, but none will when I'm done with them!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
How many 3-groove Cleveland pulleys do you want? All four of my '73s had a/c, but none will when I'm done with them!
I loves me some factory AC (added by me) on my 'vert!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
how come are you not having A/C,
Don't want it or need it. None of my summertime 'fun' cars have a/c any more, or in the case of two of them, never had a/c in the first place. I never liked that big honkin' York compressor setup that got in the way of anything that one wants to do in the engine compartment. Sure I could retrofit one of those smaller Sanden units in there, but I'd also have to go through the expensive hassle/headache of getting the proper brackets and hoses and then doing a R134a conversion, and then paying someone to draw down the system/ leak check, and charge the system. It just isn't worth it for the two or three months of the year that I'd have any need to use it. I've worked outside for the past 32 years anyway, so I get acclimated to the heat. If the air fails in my daily driver, I won't miss it all that much either. As long as we have one car with working a/c for the Wife, we're good...

·
Registered
336 Posts
This is the next job I plan for my '68, get the A/C working. Previous owners said, it sounded like the bearings were shot, reason he took the belt off. I plan to leave it with my mechanic and let him loose on it, this time next month. Don't really need it, but I just want everything to work like it should.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts