Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in here last week some time that I thought I had an exhaust leak at the headers...well I couldn't have been more incorrect.

On my way home from work Friday night my Crankshaft pulley fell off, just gone. Heard the whole thing and then watched in my rear view mirror as it rolled to the side of the freeway. I kind of couldn't help but chuckle.

I had it towed home and as far as I can tell, two of the bolts are completely gone and the other one is sheared off. All the belts were still in decent shape and my water pump didn't freeze up so I'm kind of at a loss as to why this happened. Any ideas?

Also, should I just replace it with a stock one or is there anything else that would work good on it. There's a place up in Fontana called Mustang Village that has one for $105, not sure if it's new or used. I tried calling Mustang Country in Paramount and asked for the Cougar guy and whoever was on the phone had no idea who I was talking about.

Anyways, don't ever assume without checking it out, cuz you know what assuming does...:D

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
You didn't mention whether or not the loud noise went away after the pulley flew off... (just jokin')

Actually I had a similar problem only it was the harmonic balancer on my original 302. Does yours appear to be OK except for the sheared off bolt now stuck in it. When mine broke, luckily it never came completely off. I stopped just in time when the vibration got extremely severe. Still had to get towed home though. It actually looked to me like the balancer had a factory defect due to a crack in the crank snout that looked like it had been there forever. Did you feel any vibrations prior to it coming off?

I ended up getting a used balancer and just replaced it at the time. $105 for the pulley sounds steep to me. For that kind of money, I'd look into an aftermarket balancer and get a used pulley to go with it. Ford Motorsport makes nice ones that they sell on their crate motors. Fluidampr (sp?) is another company that makes really high end balancers for racing. You can get their stuff at Summit.

My guess is that your two bolts worked themselves loose which then cause it to get out of balance. The stress was just too much for the last bolt and it sheared off. I don't think I helped much but at least you know you aren't the only person that this has happened to. Mine wasn't making any noise though. You might still have an exhaust leak somewhere.

Good Luck!!

Mark

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Loose bolts was more than likely your trouble. I would install a new balancer and another pulley. You can get the balancer's on E-bay for $50 buy it now, brand new. I just got one 2 weeks ago for my 289. The pulleys are easy to find. Dont screw with the old one, one tht old is due to be changed regardless. It could be the life of your engine. Oh yeah, make sure all the bolts are tight!!!!
Scott
just kidding!!!

·
11,000 Posts
When you talk to Mustang Country ask for Karl Ratkovich, he is the Cougar guy. Really though, the same pulley is used on Mustang of the same year so either place ought to have one with no fuss.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, looking at it again it looks as if the balancer disappeared also. So yesterday I went to this Ford place and got the balancer new for $105 and a used pulley off a Mustang for $35. The pulley needs to be cleaned up and repainted, but maybe I'll look on eBay for one as well.

Yeah, the noise went away, so it was definitely the pulley, though it never really vibrated, just made the loud clicking noise. So far all the parts guys I've talked to said that's the weirdest thing they've ever heard, but most attribute it to some kind of bolt problem.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
harmonic ballancers can come apart as well but glad nothing major was destroyed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts