Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was working on my brakes over the weekend I noticed that my right front shock had broken off and was hanging from the upper mount...thus doing nothing.

I went to Napa, got me a pair of KYB GR2's to go with the ones in the rear and put them on...holy cow what a difference the shocks make. I think my car rides better now than it has in the 10 years that I've owned it. The steering tightened up, it doesn't bounce all over the freeway, it tracks better, less body lean, totally unbelievable!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Makes you wonder how long it's been broken...Doesn't it??

Bruce

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I put a set of kyb's on my 70 over ten years ago and they still work fine despite the abuse they've been handed.
They're great shocks and have prevented me from trying other models due to their excellent function and longevity.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
KYB's also have a lifetime warranty.
The Gas-A-Just I had for about a year and a half were excellent and now will be serving duty on Martys68's Cougar.
I went with the Koni's when I rebuilt the front end.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Ive got KYBs all the way around on mine and i couldnt be happier. yeah the ride is a little firm, but its still a really good ride. in fact its gonna go on a 350 mile trip in about a week and a half. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
I need front shocks for my 68, I am thinking of Konis or KYBs Probably KYBs , which do you prefer? Gas Adjust? or GR2s? ( I am looking for very firm shocks)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never heard anything about the Koni's but I know of quite a few Cougar and Mustang owners who use the KYB's. They're definitely the firmest thing I've ever ridden on. If you wanted firmer you might want to go with the Gas-A-Just KYB's so then you can set them as firm as you want.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Koni's have 5 way adjustment, they are on all of the road racing cars and were even on the Trans Am Cougars.
The reason you don't hear a lot about them is their price most people don't want to spend for 1 shock what they can get 4 for.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Gas A Just ones arent adjustable. far as i know anyway. i have em and when slapping em on i didnt see any knobs or anything for them. if they are... then im missing out lol

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have KYB Gas-A-Just shocks as well. They are not adjustable, it is my understanding that they are charged with gas instead of air which is supposed to keep the oil from foaming and losing the damping action of the shock. You would think that they would be called "Gas-A-Charged" or something like that. :rolleyes:

·
Contributing Member
11 Posts
Leon,
you wouldn't know the Type or maybe even the Part Numbers of the Konis that would fit a 70 Cougar do you ?

I have got KYB Gas-A-Just on now, but I have always wanted to try the Konis to see what all the fuss is about.

Any body else maybe ?

:1zhelp:

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Chris,
The KONI'S front part number is 821388SP3 for the rear is 821389.
The physical size difference is almost mind numbing, the body is 2x bigger and the shaft is twice the size as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts