Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i can find away to move the shock towers forward wil that cange the upper a arm angle?
like angle front mounting hloe down at an angle & raise the rear mounting hole up in angle to the front hole? any experince on installing export brace i know these are not a regular direct fit.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
shoch towers & export brace

im wanting to install a export brace on my 67 the problrem is the towers need to go foward aprox. 1/2 " if i can find a way to move them forward will it cange the angle of the upper a arm mounting hole? my stock cowl brace bolts up but needs to moe forwad abou 1/2" forward on the passenger side but the passenger die stock brace wont bolt up tower needs moved forward and out about 1/2' to1" for stock brace or exort to fit. im removeing all inner fenders & radiator support w/ cross member engine is out any ideas on how to move towers without taking to frame shop?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: shoch towers & export brace

Lots of flex in these old cars..What I usually do is put a jack in various places underneath to move the shock towers in or out as needed...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
if i can find away to move the shock towers forward wil that cange the upper a arm angle?
like angle front mounting hloe down at an angle & raise the rear mounting hole up in angle to the front hole?...
First, why would you want to do this?

Changing the UCA angle will not accomplish anything other than risking ball joint bind/decreasing it's design clearances to my knowledge. The Shelby drop on the other hand will change change the way camber changes over the range of suspension travel, in a good way. Read up on "Shelby Drop" for more on this. Many sources are available describing the drop in detail and what it is about.

...any experince on installing export brace i know these are not a regular direct fit.
Export braces should (within reason) go right on or be close enough that you won't have to do much more than lift the car at the front torque boxes to allow enough sag for it to go on. Suggest buying the Scott Drake version(s) for best chance of fitting with least struggle and they are stronger/more correct to original design.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Thanks Carlton. I do recognize the thread now reading it again from your link but did not put two and two together (and have been away on vacation). So in my mind, the answer is still the same as in the thread in your link, fix the problem and then any brace stock or otherwise will fit as it should.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got my roof on looks nice but havent done inner fenders yet still waiting on shock tower repair/reinforcement kit its on back order.
i have decided to drill the cracks at each end then grind a bevel in the cracks and weld them part of the reinforcement kit will cover these areas when welded in i believe. i really dont want to get into shock tower replacement if i dont have to i can get a stock brace on the passenger side but the drivers side needs to come out a bit before i can put a stock brace on. im thinking put brace on pass. side put hydraulic jack between towers and push tower out till i can get a stock brace on. i think stock braces with the tower reinforcement kit should be sturdy enough for the 390. the frame is straight but i can see the passenger side shock tower is leaning in just about the amount i need it to come back. i put the 1 piece export brace up against my 70 that has never been wrecked and still has original paint (70 was sold to hertz then went to a local car lot and was sold to a guy i worked with mom still have paperwork from hertz. just a side note) but anyway the towers onthe 70 would have to come forward and out like the 67 but bolts right on my 69 convt. i was thinking about the effect of moving towers forward on the a arm angle also. also on the 70 the stock braces bolt up no problem. i really dont want to egg the holes out in the brace at the firewall to make it fit i think im just going to put it on the convt. and use the stock braces and kit as previously mentioned they also sell the monte carlo brace that just bolts in side to side in front of the towers i want to put a/c in the 67 390 does anyone know if the monte carlo brace would clear the a/c compressor? the fenders were welded to the 67 when i got it on top of the inner fenders and at the rockers by the time i got them ground/cut loose the inner fenders top edge plus the usual rust in the 2 overlaps on each side have left me no coice but to replace i have all new inner fenders and radiator support with crossmember so for now this is my plan. about the shelby drop whats the diference between putting 1 inch lower springs vs. relocating the a-arms 1 inch lower? any help much appreciated anyone done all inner fender replacement that has any dos donts let me know.
thanks everyone, if the 67 wasnt the g.t. 390 i probably would of scrapped it intsead of rebuilding the whole car. but i have to say getting rid of the old roof that was messed up from a poor sunroof job has been very rewarding & made the differnce between parting it out or finishing what i started it really wasnt that bad drip rail areas was the toughest and now there will be another g.t. in existance that was soooo close to being parted out.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
been trying to get some pics of 67 & other 2 posted i found the icon for insert image but it wont upload the file what am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If your uploading - the file may be to big you can try resizing it...? Or if you load it up on a site like photobucket first, you can link it to your thread by cutting and pasting the image link here (easier in the long run and gives you bigger pics)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i have the pictures on photobucket but still cant get them on this site when on photobucket & right click on pic my cut & paste are greyed out and wont click if i try using the browse on here it goes to my documents but wont upload it cuz its to big like you said before can you help me get them from photobucket to the site i tried to create an album on here but cant get pics there or attach to thread. thanks for any help, curtis

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
also whats the option in gallerys/ my albums/photos towards the bottom to retrive from url what is the url & do i need to go this route? printed off instructions by searching uploading pictures and faq area had directions but not getting anywhere with them either i know this shouldnt be this diffulcult.

·
Registered
784 Posts
A little help for those who don't want to click...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts