Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some cursory checking of my shock towers, I've noticed a lot of stress indications on them from hard use.
My suspension is 650# springs, sway bars 1" in front and 3/4" in rear, h/d springs in back. I also use an export brace (factory type) and a stainless steel 1 1/4 inch monte carlo bar that I fabbed up myself. Subframe connectors and a 4 point cage.
The car has always run a cleveland of some sort until recently when I've been converting to a 302/289 setup.

So...
I've heard and read about the braces on hipo car's shock towers, but never really looked into it. And I'm thinking now's a good time, with the engine out of the car, to beef it up a bit.
Ideas?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim,
It's a 70 standard. Was an h code/fmx car originally.
thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a Boss 351 "replica" engine in it, a c4, and a detroit locker.
the 351 had a boss blueprint solid cam, 2v aussie heads w/ crane rockers, and a performer with an Edelbrock. Headers. 10:1 cr.
The c4 was full zoot. a real neck snapper.
The detroit was 28 spline.
Launch at 2500, lay marks about 2 feet off the line and then run a best of 13.22 at bristol in the summer.
then, it swallowed a valve at 35 mph one day. Broke a piston and all the usual.
*shrug*
Now, I have a mexican block 302 that's going in with a forged crank, 12.5 speed pro slugs, a hydraulic cam, edelbrock performer 289 intake or dual quads on an F28 intake, custom big tube headers, and an AOD for the open road.
Got tired of taking the master cylinder off to check the valve lash. Moroso tall covers were necessary for my cleveland.
Detroit is gone for 3.25 trac-lok.
Anyway, the 302 should give some weight savings and help the car handle better. I'm hoping to sort out the problems before I take it to mexico this fall for the panamerican.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts