Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need some sort of cleaner when I'm polishing chrome/stainless with steel wool? Like brasso or turtle wax?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I never use anything except 0000 steel wool. Afterwards I polish it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd try it without the steel wool first.....unless it's real bad. Brasso or any paste shiner should do quite well.....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
4/0000 steel wool and wenol or semi chrome polish---works wonders---mask around your window stainless and do it on the car---great for alum wheels---i've actually used it carefully on badly waterspotted glass
wenol/semichrome will resore your plastic stuff too
doctordesoto

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Would you use wenol or semichrome to polish the tail light lenses? Mine look great cept you can see a little dirt or fading where the grills were.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
yes---but to do a good job , the covering grill needs to come off---don't try to do anything but washing the reflector (rough) inside
doctordesoto

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sort of on topic to the lights, some years ago, I was given a roll of heavy mylar to be placed inside the reflector housings of the tail lights.

Any issues that can be seen from doing so?
I'm not sure what the heat tolerance is for that stuff but I'll test it also.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Thanks Doc, I do have the grill portion off as I want to repaint the black. Chrome looks real good to me as is.

·
Registered
391 Posts
A couple of tips for painting the tail light grilles: one way to do it is to clean them thoroughly, then spray paint them without taping the ribs off, only at the license plate lenses. Once the paint is dry, carefully rub the black paint off of each rib with 0000 steel wool, and take the tape off near the license plate lights. The other way is to tape off the area near the license plate lights, and use pinstriping (or masking tape cut into small strips) to mask them off before painting. The third way, which I have not personally tried, was to use the first method I described, but use a rag wetted with brake fluid to carefully wipe off the paint on the ribs.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I really don't like the sound of painting everything then wiping it off but I really don't want the little edge that masking tape leaves either sooo. I think I will paint it all then carefully use steel wool? Question here though, would you strip the old black off or just lightly scuff it up?

·
Registered
316 Posts
When I am detailing some thing like this I use Dupont self etching primer , and before it drys I start the painting . This way the paint will actually bond better with the wet primer and testing has shown it holds up really well . I figure I have one good layer rather then two layers with sanding in between .

On larger parts I will primer over the etching while it is wet , sand and re prime again . I do this with Krylon on all my suspension stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Why not use SEM Trim Black (which is self-etching) for a one shot treatment? I spray without masking and then carefully wipe off the areas I want chrome with lacquer thinner.

·
Registered
210 Posts
When I did my 70 tail lights I took a q tip but some Vaseline and rubbed the chrome areas. Painted the black allowed to dry some, took a clean polishing towel with tip of my finger rubbed along the chrome. Paint came right off and the black looked great. Also spraying mostly from the backside(lens side). Also how I did the front grill.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Bob I have the SEM Black, Was just wondering if to strip the old paint or just ruff it up a little.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well for mine I just sanded it down. Got whatever pits down and the old black off. Not all of it. Then several light coats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts