Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...well I got my 68 xr7 GT back from the tranny shop....oooo baby..chirps the tires under normal driving!...Now I have to tackle the other tranny type problem....the shifter. I have some slack/play in the forward/back movement (not the side/side due to the plastic bushing down below)...I tore apart the floor/console/shifter linkage and such to pinpoint the trouble and found out that the play is where the 2 arms of the shifter come together (under the floor, where the 9/16 nut holds them together). It seems like the keyed part of metal is worn on the hole of the top shifter shaft (the bottom of the chrome piece). I am now in the search for a shifter...I saw a couple on EBAY, but would rather my money go to you guys...Let me know if you may have one and how much you'd like...I also put a "beg" for this part in the parts wanted section. I love this car...man...
Chris

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
NeatO is this auto or std and can you post a pic?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kind of fixed.

It's basically the typical Automatic shifter from all 67-68 mustangs/cougars...I didn't take a pic of the warn part...but just slapped a bunch of JB weld on it and let it sit...seemed to work (this is not a part seen inside the car)...it'll work for now, but I am on the quest for a tight automatic shifter for this car....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the whole thing...minus the handle....from where the handle goes on, to where the tranny linkage attaches...all dat.
chris

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chris if your still looking I have the one that came with this 68 Stang that I'm not going to use. I havent looked at it that close so maybe tomorrow I'll check it out if your interested in it. I'm going to go with a aftermarket shifter so its of no use to me. mm

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be great....mine was worn out between the two pieces of metal...the JB weld is holding nicely, but I'd like to do it right. Let me know if yours is tight and how much you'd like for it..thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
488 Posts
console shifter

the part you need sounds like the chrome handle and the lever under the car right? if you have a full console then you either need to get the chrome handle from a car with a console or get the kit that weld onto the regular handle for the shift indicator. the console shift cars have a little tap welded at the bottom of the handle for a small white plastic rod to go into. they do sell a kit with this part so you can convert a non console shifter (you know how those mustang guys are!). just thought i would mention it in case you got there and didn't know what to do. hawkrod

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you...I didn't know there was a differece between a console and non console shifter...but you are right on what I need (the chrome and the part under the car)...I have the console setup with the hole for the plastic shift light rod.
Chris

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Re: console shifter

hawkrod said:
the part you need sounds like the chrome handle and the lever under the car right? if you have a full console then you either need to get the chrome handle from a car with a console or get the kit that weld onto the regular handle for the shift indicator. the console shift cars have a little tap welded at the bottom of the handle for a small white plastic rod to go into. they do sell a kit with this part so you can convert a non console shifter (you know how those mustang guys are!). just thought i would mention it in case you got there and didn't know what to do. hawkrod
Whats that suppose to mean?? As a matter of fact I do know theres a diff between the two. And I also checked this shifter out today (out of a console car!! ) and its not very good. But now we know. mm

·
Registered
488 Posts
Re: Re: console shifter

modifiedmark said:
Whats that suppose to mean?? As a matter of fact I do know theres a diff between the two. And I also checked this shifter out today (out of a console car!! ) and its not very good. But now we know. mm
it is supposed to mean what it says. if he bought a shifter and it didn't have the tab for the light he could buy a kit and convert the handle. hawkrod

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the JB weld seems to be holding up alright....no rush on another one, but now I know that console cars/shifters are the way to go...if you know of a good one, let me know and we can make it happen...thanks all!
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts