Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already read the thread on the FMX tranny which was very helpful. I know there isnt really any aftermarket items for this tranny as well. I'm just curios if anyone has costomized a racing shifter to work with this tranny and the floor console. And does anone have anthing bad to say about the lokar shifter aside from the price . Is this a racing type (ratchet) shifter, or just a relacement Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
shifter for FMX

I had the same question a few months ago. After extensive searching I've found that Lokar is the only after market FMX shifter available. I talked to one guy on this forum who told me he rigged a B&M shifter to work. He said he pressed the shifter arm that came with the shifter(C6 or C4, he couldnt remember) onto the tranny and never had a problem with it. Iam in the process of ordering a B&M Quicksilver shifter to see if I can make it work, I will let you know. As far as the Lokar goes it is a great shifter. It has all the lockouts and is a ratchet shifter, I put one in a '40 Ford we built a while back, it just doesnt go along with the look Im going for.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Let me know how it goes, cause thats the shifter I would want to use. Hey If there is a will there is a way.... And I can use the Lokar shifter with the stock consolde?

·
Registered
19 Posts
shifter for FMX

I would assume you could use the stock housing, the throw should be the same. The other option would be to use the beauty ring that Lokar provides, they look pretty clean. The only problem with that is what your carpet looks like under the stock housing. That is also going to be the problem with the quicksilver.It is significantly larger than the stock shifter and would need to be moved back a few inches to clear the console. Its no big deal but would be neccessary to put new carpet in.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carpet, I havent even ordered carpet yet. But I dont understand...what housing are you refering to?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh ok I got it, I think you might be refering to the dash area. I'm talking about the console that runs from the dash and back between the seats towards the rear. I want to make sure I can fit either of these shifters without modification of this piece.

·
Registered
19 Posts
shifter for FMX

You asked if you could use the stock console. I figured you were talking about the housing that the shifter itself sits in(The chrome box that has the P-R-D-2-1)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, ok, no this part I dont need to use. The Armrest Console between the seats is what I was refering to. i still want to be able to use this with an aftermarket shifter. Thnks for the help BTW

·
Registered
1 Posts
B&M Quicksilver shifter for a FMX transmission

I was wondering if you figured if that ratchet shifter from B&M worked yet? My dad and I purchased a B&M Quicksilver ratchet shifter and could you send us a picture and tell us how you did it if it actually worked. We've been trying for a long time and it hasn't worked for us yet. Thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have the FMX and the B&M shifter. I believe it is the Quicksilver model but don't know squat about it really. It just works.

The PO had it installed or he did it himself, I dunno. He called it a "slap shifter". It has a lockout for Reverse and racthets from D to the lower gears and back to D. I can get you his e-mail address if needed.

I'm also curious about the ability to use a stock console. I only have the shifter mounted on the tunnel for now. (Carpet is down & looks fine but it's coming out soon.)

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I've never put an aftermarket shifter with an FMX. But I have to believe that any of the big name companies like B&M that sell a "universal" shifter would work for you. The reason being is that they all use a cable as the linkage. The only difference is in the lower bracketry where the cable mounts to the trans.

The couple of B&M shifters I installed all came with an assortment of lower brackets to mount on Fords, GM, and even Mopar transmissions. Mine had brackets for a C4 and a C6 but I can't say for sure that they had one for an FMX. But they might. Either way, I'm sure a few slight mods to a C4 bracket would work well on an FMX.

Just some examples:
http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=3&cat=2&subcat=1

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I was probably the one you spoke to about the B&M shifter on the FMX. I installed one about 30 years ago on my first 69. I installed a StarShifter - looks like a 4 speed boot on top - and it came with the universal linkages that Mark mentioned.
As I recall the problem was in connecting the cable to the FMX selector arm. There was not an FMX arm in the kit because the FMX uses a pressed on arm that was not removable, so I removed it and used the closest length arm from the kit.
Like I said, it was 30 years ago so the details are sketchy but the overall memory is there. I did do it, it did work.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If you end up needing to modify to install the B&M, take a look at Hurst Quarter Stick shifters. I think they are a much nicer shifter than the B&M's that I've had experience with.
You can get them with a sheet-aluminum body instead of plastic, which gives them a more substantial race hardware feel and appearance. They're lower profile, less bulky and have a more positive engagement motion through the gates.
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=HUU-3160009&x=32&y=13&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=HUU-1300041&x=32&y=3&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

Tom

·
Registered
666 Posts
The Cable Guy

Just a note....I had a cable shifter on one of my cars a while back and the cable kept failing. After the fourth one I spoke to the Company Tech Guy and he said to check the ground cable from the engine to the firewall ? WTF So I checked it ...and I did not have one! I installed one and the next cable lasted until I sold the car!......Just another helpful hint from Mercinary

·
Registered
256 Posts
mercinary said:
Just a note....I had a cable shifter on one of my cars a while back and the cable kept failing. After the fourth one I spoke to the Company Tech Guy and he said to check the ground cable from the engine to the firewall ? WTF So I checked it ...and I did not have one! I installed one and the next cable lasted until I sold the car!......Just another helpful hint from Mercinary
Now this is interesting. I suppose the ground connection was running through the cable which would cause corrosion from bi-metal electrolysis. This may be the answer to a problem we used to have with the International Harvester Scout II. They used a B&W transmission and where shifted via a cable, this cable failed on a regular basis, usually when you where up to your eyebrows in mud or snow.:angryfi:

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
mercinary said:
Yes, I've heard of this happening before as well. Apparently, the cable for the shifter acts as a ground cable if you didn't have one.

Shift cables also fail if they are not routed correctly. I did have one fail in less than a year. But when I took it out, it looked to be defective from the start. I was able to replace it with a heavier duty (re: optional) one in place of the original, all covered under the warranty thanks to my Summit insider.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts