Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I changed my C6 from a colum shift to a floor shift arm. Also, the kickdown lever fell out a few weeks or so ago so I just put a nut/bolt in its place so I could get it mobile. Now its leaking ALOT.... Im going to put the kickdown lever back in tomorrow. How is it held in place, is it just by the nut on the outside and o-ring to seal. Here's a picture of the lever, hope someone can help.

Thanx

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yes, it is held in place with the nut. I had to remove my valve body to replace mine. Basically it installs from the inside out, the arm lines up with the valve/plunger (pretty obvious once you're in there) and then the arm and nut on the outside of the case hold it all in. The O-ring you already know about. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hold every thing !!!!
First let me intrduce my self briefly: My name is Ron and I just signed on to the boards the other day. Im looking forward to picking up a 67 XR7 GT to start fixing up later in the month and in my search for car info I found this message board. I usaly hang out on a late model Mustang board as that is my curent daily driver.

Any way this discussion is interesting due to the fact that my kick down lever in the C6 in my truck broke. the lever that engauges the valve body broke at the 90* bend. From looking and fooling with it this weekend it looks as though it is imposable to remove this lever from the transmission with out a partial disasembly to allow the lever to slide in. The intermeadiat band is in the way. Am i missing some thing? Can the lever be pushed in to remove it? I am planing to weld the lever back in with the linkage still in the trans case. If someone can confrim my beleif that the intermeadiat band has to be moved to remove the kick down lever I would appreciat it. If some one has a trick to get around removing the kick down band to get the lever out I would really appreciat it:)
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Welcome Salty!
When I built my C6 I started with a scrap case and had to come up with a floor shift arm and kickdown lever. I got the shifter arm from Shady Oaks in FL than had to go hunting for the kickdown arm.
I took mine out of a junker in a salvage yard. I had to remove the valve body to get enough clearance to slide it out.
My C6 was already assembled by this time, so I removed the valve body and slid in the linkage. I never had to touch the intermediate band.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I dont get it? I cant slide it out because "A" wont fit out "B".
The end of the rod looks flared so the arm wont come off. If I slide it into the case I hit the drum the intermeidat band rides on.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I will have to take the pan off of mine and see if the rod is different. I took mine out of a junker laying on my back. All I did was take out the VB. When I got home I did the reverse to install it in mine. I will have to take some pictures. I don't remember mine having a "flared end". Seems to me it was flush, but it's been a while. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on mine, "A" comes off, and B comes off. And it slides in from outside. Thats whats got me wandering how it stays together. The end of the rod isnt flared, and the part that clips onto the kickdown rod is "keyed" to the rod. (hopeully you can see that)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Rick, I don't think "a" is suppose to come off. On the C4, it's one piece. I haven't had the C6 apart, so I have no experience with the C6...

Bruce

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
daaahh, could be..you could possibly tack it together if you can line it up right, or try to get another one.. I think I would replace it if possible..( do the "o" rings too obviously)....

Bruce

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
O-U-CH! IN the immortal words of The Dixie Chicks: "There's yer trouble!" 'A' is supposed to be pressed on.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AARRRGGGG!!!!! Im going to swap in a 4speed now. Ive had nothing but troubles with the C6 ;) Thinks a rocket off the line with the C6, imagine what a 4 speed would do :D:D:D

Rick

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I get an image of about 20 or 30 feet of melted rubber.. How about you?

Bruce

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Looked at mine again - remove the valve body and the shift likage that the kickdown passes through (held on by a big nut inside the case). Then reassemble by putting the shifter nut onto the kickdown linage and slide through the case from inside out. Slide the shifter linkage into the case from the outside in. Line up the shifter linkage and install the big nut that holds on the shift linkage. Install the kickdown linkage and the kickdown arm & nut.
Then install the valve body.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanx rktman, I remember how it goes together. Just when I went to pull it apart, I just need to pull the kickdown lever from the outside cuz the rod "A" came off from inside. I thought it was normal, humm, guess not huh...

Rick

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
At least the column shift kickdown lever is the same as the floor shift! The column one's are a lot easier to find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts