Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the story is behind the "Shelby" Cougars?
I have seen and heard things about some Cougars that received Shelby treatments, like the 10 spoke wheels with Cougar centers. I don't know much more.
Thanks

·
Registered
519 Posts
Shelby Cougar?
I don't think such a beast exists.

I know that the 68 Shelby and 68 Cougar shares some of the same interior and exterior parts but I think thats the exent of it.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
The 68 XR7-G was converted on the same line as the 68 Shelbys. Thats the closest I know of to a Shelby Cougar.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I have heard rumors of these elusive Cougars and have seen things like this that leads me to believe in their existance

Look at Me

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Shelby Cougar...yep....well sort of. Shelby American had a "cougar kit" in 1967 and 1968. It was in their catalogue back then. It did include the shelby 10 spoke wheels and shelby steering wheels with special stickers on both. I am not sure of the other components of the kit. If you look in my member gallery, I have the wheels stickers on my Keystone Klassics. A fellow who has the rest of the info is Chris Brost. He has the shelby catalogue with all the details.. ( [email protected] ). He also has some shelby cougar stuff for sale as well...at least the wheel stickers that I know of. Here is a close-up pic of the sticker...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HMMMMMM

Suppose you bought the 10 spokes and had the inserts would you be marked down for points at a CCOA Sanctioned National Event like the So Cal Cougar Club just had?
Can it be proven that it was an special order optional accessory?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Give Chris an email (address in previous post) He can provide you with a copy of the catalogue or give you more info. :)

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts