Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried the sawsall and the grinder on my quarters, but think my best bet is with an electric metal shears. Quarter skins are 16 gauge soft metal, right? Saw that Harbor Freight has them for about $45, and can cut 14ga soft. Anyone used them?

If I cut them precisely enough, I'd much prefer butt welding to lap welding. I have full quarters - well almost. They don't go all the way up the sides around the opera lights. I want to keep as much of the current body weld spots intact to minimize part alignment issues, such as the rear of the quarter to the taillight panel, and quarter to the trunk/rear window panel.

Anyone have pics/vids welding quarters just below the lowest contour line along the quarter (above the well lip)? I'll keep searching youtube, but seems they're full quarter welds. Eric.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Quarters are 22 gauge, i.e., .030".

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I did most of the cutting on the car using an air chisel, some cutoff tool. Panels I was putting on did most of those cuts with the cutoff tool. Marked with indelible marker lines and then cut along the lines.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You are a brave man Eric. I see some familiar photo's in the random folder! Glad I could provide some inspiration. I wish you continued success in what looks like an arduous task.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've also got some pics in my profile pages. Includes wheelhouse and quarterpanel. Any questions are welcome.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow. After looking at what you're replacing, I think you need no tutoring. Lookin' good.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i use air shears, they seem to work the best , markers, and masking tape are your friends!

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I'm putting 1/4's on my 33 ford as we speak. I'd just weld that puppy on, right on the point/crease, for many reasons. 1, you have something to align and 2, probably cut down on warpage. If you have an air compressor big enough to run for a bit, I'd just use a small hand die-grinder with the narrow cut off wheels, I think they are maybe 3/16 thick or so and about 3" round. I do so much with the little die-grinder and cut off wheels. It serves many purposes. I've used shears before as well, but honestly I would not use them again for putting on 1/4's. Cut everything off close and start getting the 1/4 to fit up into place. At this point, I use a small, 4"-6" grinder/sanding disc (air tool) to sand/grind the pieces so they fit perfect. Your going to have to get some clamps or some big strong magnets to hold it. Or, you might want to make some little tabs that you can tack weld to the 1/4 and then when it is in place, tack the tabs to the car. Then once your done welding, just grind off the tabs. You should be able to tig weld or have someone tig weld that 1/4 on, at the crease, with very little if any warpage if you go slowly and jump around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts