·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Also posted in my build thread

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sounds good right out of the litter box Mike! Good progress too!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Sounds great! Might I suggest a victorious burnout video? Now that you've wetted our appetite? It's the next logical step of course !

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Mike,

You walking around the car looks to me like you are so enjoying the engine running that you don't know whether to sh!t or wind your watch! Looking forward to that feeling although my engine won't sound anything like that monster!

BTW, POR-15 engine paint in theory is great, in practice, sh!t! What a mess I made yesterday. Carefully masked off everything and then tried to spray it on (thinned 20% as specified), what a disaster! The paint was raining off the engine by the time I was done. Ended up wiping it all off with naptha (POR-15 thinner) and will try again with Plastikote (what I had bought prior to my bright idea to use POR-15) over the weekend.

Congrats again.

Bob

·
Registered
524 Posts
Good choice on the steel toe safety sandals-can never be to careful ;P. Sounds sweeet. I hope mine sounds as nice--someday. Burnout vid is a must!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Very happy now.

Bob, POR isn't like marvel mystery oil, you can't use it for everything, lol. I have heard the Eastwood ceramic engine paint is good stuff.

dmac, You only see me in jeans and boots when I am at work, and that is only if I am on a commercial job. I get comments all the time on how I am crazy when I wear shorts and flip flops when it's below freezing. I am just a beach bum with no beach.

Clanceman, video is now available in my build thread.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?46772-70-budget-rat-build/page16

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Art, Haha. I guess you could call us "country" sounding. And thanks.

Bob, (in referance to what Andy referanced) you are right. I had so many things going through my heads that walking fast just wasn't what was relayed from my brain. I normally am the guy that is all over the place and can't sit still, people actually tell me to sit down because I make them nervous and my wife is always telling me to slow down when we are out shopping because I walk too fast. After actually watching the video all the way through, I sort of look like a lazy ass don't I? lol

·
Registered
992 Posts
Thanks Mike! Love it. Hope that wasn't you that turfed the lawn across the street by losing control of the cougar, hehe.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...Bob, POR isn't like marvel mystery oil, you can't use it for everything, lol...
Well, it was POR-15 ENGINE enamel, so in theory... Still, gave me hell. At least today is redemption day! Engine is in grey prime and looking good. Will bundle cardboard and junk mail while it's drying and then spray the Plastikote.

Sorry to hear about the oil leaks, if it were me, that would roast my nuts...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear about the oil leaks, if it were me, that would roast my nuts...
I am not too pissed about it. Now that it is all together, it gives me a reason to turn wrenches on it. Since it isn't going to be the best of weather for cruising around (thanks to the machine shop) It will help keep me occupied for a few days.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it was POR-15 ENGINE enamel, so in theory... Still, gave me hell. At least today is redemption day! Engine is in grey prime and looking good.
About the POR-15, I had no idea that they made engine specific paint, soooooo, my bad. On a related note, I took the car out for another spin today (despite the oil leak) and after 4 or 5 heat cycles now, the paint on the heads still looks unchanged. Maybe that epoxy primer with help keep the paint from burning off. I guess I will see in time. Now I am off to put the car up on jack stands. If I don't make the car immobile now I will just keep wanting to tool around the neghborhood in it. Thats not good because I have to many things I need to do to it, fix the oil leak, retorque the heads, adjust valves, and fix a water leak in the pump, among a few other small things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts