Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am thinking about starting a side business and want to see what the demand looks like before I get ahead of myself. My idea is to offer a mobile wideband tuning service for Holley carb'd cars. I am an Electrician by day and a car nut the rest of the time....I was looking at starting an Electrical company but my heart is just not in it. Which led me to this idea .....

Specifics:

Meet up, your house/shop in the Bay area.
Install a temporary wideband kit. I am leaning towards the Innovate LM2 with a tailpipe o2 clamp for no welding etc.
Take some basic readings and see where it can be improved upon: gas mileage, idle quality, cruise , wot. etc
Vacuum reading.
Check base timing/ adv timing.
Check spark plugs.
Data log all info.
I want to come up with a way to keep track of the base tune as well as the final tune on an easy to read chart.
Email the tuning info to the customer for their records.
Keep a database of all customer cars etc. for future referencing.
I strongly believe in teaching throughout the entire process, no secrets. The customer can help as much as they would like, or just watch.
Respect all traffic laws which I do always forever and ever and ever anyways.....

This is just some brainstorming for now.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Not a bad idea - similar to going to the dyno but not paying for more than you need for initial tuning. I'd rather have the carb tuned right before wasting time on the dyno really.....so why not. I don't know how much call there would be on a regular basis for that service but for car clubs and the like.....it may pay to get involved with as many as you can.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts