Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to guage and determine what your timing is set at? I need to set the timing on my 351W (getting some plug knock when the engine is under load for a while) and right now I'm just setting it by sound, etc, but I'd like a more precise way. Timing light?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
another timing question here.... i used a light to try and set my timing and when i turned the distributor, it showed that the timing was being retarted on the balancer, but the engine sounded like it was being advanced. the idle went up and it ran happier. at the moment, according to the marks i have timing set at 2 or 3 degrees. but that doesnt sound right to me. at one time i had it set to 0, but it would knock too much when i punched it ( it would lose power and all too ) now, i know this isnt right so whats the dilly yo?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Timin

A timing light is the best way to set timing if yo know what it shold be set to. The other way I've used alot is to keep advancing until it knocks and then retard until there is no knocking. That way it is optimal for the condition of the engine and fuel that is being used. It just takes some time tinkering.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Factory settings are either 5 or 6 degrees BTD. I think it's 6. This is at sea level. Add 1 degree for every 1000 feet of altitude and you will be fine. I have mine set a about 11 to 12 degrees BTD here in Denver. I at 5280 feet so I added 5 degrees.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Timing

BTD is before top dead center. As yo look at the marks yo will see numbers counting down to 0 then back up. BTD wold be to the left of the "0". This should be done with vacuum line removed and plugged.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That is , removed from the distributor vacuume advance and plugged

1 - 7 of 7 Posts