Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I am looking for some input on my 1968 Cougar. I installed a 5.0L from a 2001 Explorer. My original thought was to use a serpentine belt setup. I planned on using the harmonic balancer from the explorer since it has a serpentine pulley integrated. I changed the front cover to the early style to accommodate a mechanical fuel pump and used a 1968 Cougar water pump since I had already purchased an aluminum radiator with inlet on the passenger side. I now realize that I should have done a little more research. As you can see from my picture of the engine on the dyno, I don't believe my water pump pulley will line up with the crank pulley. I may need to replace the balancer with different style serpentine pulley or abandon the choice and go with a V belt setup. BTW, I will also be running P/S and AC. Anybody got any recommendations? Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Either way you go, you'll need to spend a little money. If you decide to keep your v-belt and use all stock components, you'll need to swap the harmonic balancer for something like the link below. It provides the 50oz imbalance you need plus the 3 bolt crank pulley configuration.

Another way would be using the explorer serpentine system then fabricate upper and lower radiator hoses. Mustangs plus use to sell a kit that allowed for different side outlet/inlet locations.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Use all the explorer setup to include front cover ... install a electric fuel pump ... and take your new radiator to a Rad shop and have it modified to work .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts