Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was replacing my thermostat and while I was tightening down the bolts on the waterneck one snapped off. So now I have the bolt head in my ratchet and the threaded bolt still in the block. How do I get the bolt out? :1zhelp:

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Is there any part of the bolt sticking out you can grab a pair of vice grips on it? If so try some penetraiting oil, let it soak for a few minutes and try that.I would try that and then take a small propane torch and heat up the area around it then take the vice grips and go slow and it should loosen it.If its flush your going to have to drill the bolt and use a extractor to get it out. Hope this helps you some.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the bolt broke off flush with the motor. I was searching the posts for broken bolts and it looks like I have to use a bolt extractor kit now to get it out, correct? :angryfi:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Like others have said you will need a ez out bolt extractor slightly smaller than the bolt. You also should use a center punch for making sure you start to drill direct center of the broken bolt. Once you have your hole in the bolt insert your ez out and you should be good

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In some of the posts some have mentioned left handed drill bits? Also if the bolt hasnt broken off flush how do I make sure I tap the center before I start drilling? :smoke:

·
Registered
223 Posts
The best way by far would be to weld a nut to the broken stud using a Mig welder. You need to have the welder and be good at using it though. I learned this technique many years ago from another mechanic and have used it many times over the years. IMO its much easier than drilling and using an extractor. You can't f your self and break the extractor off in the bolt either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRrz-cphBY4

Bill

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help and suggestions, i better go play the lotto cause this must be my lucky day. Tapped the center ( best I could gauge) and started slowly with the left handed drill bit (from my recent trip to harbor freight) and the bolt started to back itself out. I then was able to grab the top with my extra long needle nose and slowly get the broken bolt out. Whew!:beer:

·
Registered
305 Posts
started slowly with the left handed drill bit and the bolt started to back itself out.
Nice Job! Lucky you that the left hand twist drill bit worked. I keep a set around just for such occasions.

Last year I had a buddys truck in my garage and we were replacing the water pump. He said "hey lets put this new thermostat in while we are AT IT" Both bolts twisted off flush with the manifold. I had to drill out and helicoil both :uhoh: at least the chebys tstat housing bolts face up.

John

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the $10 left handed drill bit kit was worth every penny! also lucky on the 351C the waterneck sits upright on the top of the block, I didnt have to disconnect anything to remove or drill the broken one out :beer: :smoke:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks 70, point well taken. I was so gunshy after the event when I put the new bolts in (yes I replaced both) I highly undertightened them, had water pouring out everywhere when I started it, torque wrench may be the next must have tool :smoke:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
My wife bought me to torque wrenches for christmas last year. A 3/8's and a half inch! Two clicks of the elbow has gotten me in a lot of trouble before and with this car I didn't want that! I use them often.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Glad to hear of your success. For those of us that do not have left handed drill bits, I have had success getting broken bolts out by using a prick punch and a hammer. I just hit the broken bolt close to the edge with counter clockwise force /the direction the bolt would back out. Once it starts moving back out it will most times come all the way out unless it was cross threaded in the hole which cause the bolt to break in the first place. If that is the cause you will need to drill and retap the hole to file the problem.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
YEP - I have been able to walk out many a snapped off bolt that way myself - sometimes you just drill a little divit so the punch has a place to get a good bite. I have left handed drill bits that I bought for exhaust bolts/studs but it was futile - I even tried welding on a nut, still no go. Last resort is always the old tap and die set since you kind of worry about drilling to far - etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts