Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, My 68 sequencial lights just stopped working.
Hazard, running and brake lights work fine. When I press the hazzard lights and hit the turnsignal switch, the lights sequence on both sides telling me the sequence box is ok. Why no turnsignals? Fuse is fine..... Is this an indication of the turnsignal relay ( up by the gas pedal) or is it an indication of a bad turnsignal switch?

Dave

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
When the turn signal lever is depressed, no lights come on
anywhere. Start by depressing the emergency switch, if the
emergency flashers work, the turn signal switch is most likely
bad. Next, listen to the directional relay for a click while
moving the turn signal lever. If there is no sound, disconnect
the turn signal switch from the harness and check it according to
Table 1. The table shows wire pairs that should be shorted
together when the switch is in the position indicated. If any of
the connections are open, replace the switch. Usually the switch
has failed when the plastic around the riveted contacts in the
area around the emergency button appears to be burnt or melted.
This can be seen with the steering wheel removed.

This info came from Cougars Unlimited http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/. They have a great webpage with troubleshooting for sequential lights: http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/seqts.htm

·
Registered
89 Posts
its your turnsignal switch

i had the same problem just one thing remember how you take off the pins at the connector.i think there is 10-12 different colors you need to pull them one by one and make a chart where they go cuz you start pulling wires out like me and forget where they go :D have fun

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turnsignal woes

OK to test my switch, I want to know if this is possible.
My car is a 68 but I have a 67 column in my basement.
I know I cant "USE" the switch largly since my 68 has tilt.....
BUT I was wondering if the connector is the same and I can take the switch out to the car and connect it and see if it works.....
I know there is an early and a late 67 switch and the difference was something in the back with a stoplamp relay.... and it matters with or without tilt(for obvious reasons) but for diagnostics....... will I fry something to just hook it up and activate the switch to see if the signals work????
David

·
Registered
89 Posts
INFO

No the wires are different i think? to make sure check to see if the colors match.if they do test it.wires colors should match if they dont dont try it.take you steering wheel if not all ready off.check it out the connections have fun:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
switch

OK
I feel confident that its my switch. Now, where to buy the darn thing.

Johns Classic Cougar, Kens and AutoKrafters are all within one dollar in price.... Oddly Mustangs Unlimited is asking $20 more..... I guess if it "MIGHT" fit a Shelby, the price goes up....LOL.
(Found that when looking at used '68 console Radio knobs).

I've bought things from John's before and had pretty good luck, but thats been 2 yrs ago. Was disappointed that he didn't make it to the East Coast nationals in Atlanta last month.....

Thanks guys for helping me troubleshoot this...
Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
info

Try Johns Classic Cougar i got myswitch there,but still have not recieved my knobs for the map lights the four switches on the xr-7 models he said there on back order its been few months now:angryfi: its fun trouble shootin huh:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TURNSIGNAL WOES

Ok, I replaced the turnsignal switch and it was not my problem. I suspect that Im not getting power to the switch. Is there a relay or switch that directs power to it?
David:1poke:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turnsignal woes

I was told that if none of the signals work and the switch was not getting power, that the turnsignal trigger might be bad.
He said it was sort of like a flasher located under the right side of the dash.
Look as I may, I dont see any kind of relay/flasher/trigger thing there.
Could it be one of those things mounted above the gas pedal????
Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
Info

Hi there! fun huh :D yea try following the wires down there to see where they connect i never got to do that cuz the switch was bad and they worked after that.so really cant help just give you my 2 cents!!!;) look at this way if you replace the part and its not it you dont have to worry about that part going bad for another 5-10years:D let me know what happens ok
Cesar

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turnsignal woes

Havent gotten everything back together but a plus to this whole thing is my horn may work now. The contact on the old turnsignal switch was bad......
Now I can send an audible alert by depressing that ring in the wheel........
Hasnt worked in over 10 yrs....LOL:eek2: :eek2:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TURNSIGNALS FIXED!

Glad I took the car to someone before I created more problems. Im a great parts swapper but when it comes to tracing wires..... being color blind is a deterent.
$250 later.....
No turnsignal switch was necessary but the upside to this is that the horn now works. Apparently someone did some amatuer wiring on the tilt wheel relay and tapped into the turnsignal switch fuse which caused some issues. Then to compound things further, there was a loose ground in the trunk.
For me, it was well worth $250 to have someone that knows their stuff.
now to get the AC and clock workin.......

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts