Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some advice on sequential turn signals. I have a 69 hardtop and when i'm driving there is a horrendous buzzing sound coming from the "black box" or the relays in the trunk. the buzzing sound goes away when I apply the brakes and is intermittent when the turn signal is activated. the left rear works like it should, sequentially i mean, but the right does not. only the first light comes on. I have replaced the flasher units and all bulbs as well as making sure all of the relays are grounded. I can't stand the buzzing and I love my car. can anyone please help?

·
Registered
122 Posts
If your not to worried about originality, you could always upgrade using one of these Solid State set ups, just click here!

If not, I'm sure one of the gurus here can help you figure out the problems with yours

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could you please elaborate a little on which grounds you are talking about? I noticed on the wiring harness that there is a bare electrical connector on the hot wire going to the center bulb of the tail light. what is this for? also i forgot to mention in my earlier posting that the headlight switch is on when the buzzing occurs. only when h/light sw is on.:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I was talking about the sockets themselves in the back of the taillights. They must be grounded ( good clean connections) as well as the ground thats bolted to the wires coming out of the rear loom. I'm not an electrical expert but I had my taillights out of mine and thought I'd double check my bulbs an such while I had it apart and got a horrible buzzing and racket coming out of the box when I tried it. I then realized the bulb sockets themselves had to be grounded and they all worked properly again once I grounded them again. Just thought it might be a cheap easy thing for you to try first. mm

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I changed to the solid state sequencer and it works perfectly. Still looks original since it fits in the same box. My advice would be to change it out or get in touch with Cougar Unlimited:
http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/
Just my 2 cents:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks very much for the advice. thats what I thought you meant about the rear bulb sockets. turns out that there were tiny gaskets on the sockets. Ive never seen them before on a fomoco product. seems to have helped my problem. thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just recently upgraded to the solid state version from www.mustangsunlimited.com for $90. It plugs right into your wiring harness and is designed to be put inside your original "black box" Works great and uses a standard flasher (552HD) versus the special green ones.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm glad that took care of your problem, beats spending money dont it? If my box ever goes out the first thing I buy will be the solid state box but only if it is really needed. mm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts