Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Been reading for forum since I bought my Cougar, great site.

I was searching the archives and couldn't find anyone with the same sequential turn signal problem as me.

Everything works as it should on my 67 Cougar, except they are out of sequence. How is that possible?

Instead of going 1-2-3 like they are supposed to (inside-middle-outside), they go 1-3-2 (inside-outside-middle).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
105 Posts
As long as they stay consistent that would look kinda cool, LOL, didn't mix up bulb install sequence?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought at first, but no, the wires would never reach. You can tell they are in the correct sockets and the wires are molded that way since 1967.

Anyone know what would cause this? Doesn't a mechanical cam device provide the sequence? If so, how is it possible to be out of sequence?

·
Registered
457 Posts
yes it is possible for the cam on the electric motor to be out of sequence, especially if there has been some wear on one lobe since there generally very old, it will make contact at the wrong time. My car was doing the same thing I just opted for a solid state unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

So I could try to replace that component (with mechanical cam) and see if that works.

Can somebody please tell me what the official name for that component is and where it is located?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm not sure, but if you check on WCCC they have replacement units and solid state units. I have the solid state unit and it works great I would never turn back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I figured it out...

When I took the motor off the car and took the cover off, I inspected the operation, everything seemed to be in perfect working order. I couldn't understand why they were out of sequence.

Then it hit me...

The changeable board, that has the 3 levers/contacts, that the cam activates, has 3 little push-on connectors for each one. Somebody had 2 & 3 mixed up. I switched them back and it worked perfectly.

:)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Feels kinda good when you actually fix something huh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts