Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was "monkeying" around with some old non-functioning sequential signal light units. I was able to get one going again by prying off the motor cover, cleaning her up and pressing the cover back on!! Darn thing works fine :D I tried the same thing on the unit that was on my 67 (I put in an electronic box) and Bingo!! the same result. That motor used to squeal and rattle... and I found out why. There was a lot of crud once I got the cover off....cleaned the inside of the cover including the magnet, used the Dremel to clean off the armature plates and a drop of lube on the shaft. The brushes and contacts weren't in bad shape so I left them as is. I pressed the cover back on with a sofisticated tool called water pump pliers :p: and it works as quietly as an old mechanical motor and gearbox can. Wish I would have done this before I bought the electronic box:rolleyes: ...well at least it was a used model:) . BTW, the cover can be pried off using a small blade screwdriver in the small rectangular space between the cover and the motor plate.

Don't know if I would have done this without having tried it first on the busted motors but it worked for me!!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Bruter.... your a genuis!!! Maybe you can help out OC_cougar with one of your spares:1poke:

Don

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Tex, I think Robert has already ordered the electronic version...his sequencer was completely dead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts