Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a universal wiring kit for my car, so far everything fits in and still works stock, but i ran into a problem with my rear lighting. I have wiring for two bulbs, but in my cougar as you well know i got 8, including the reverse lights(i figured that out), and i have the sequential lighting. My question is, does anyone know how i can make this work, or would i need to get an adapter or something?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Are you saying you installed a new wireing harness for your
cougar but can't find where to plug in the sequencer?
What year of cougar is it, because there is a different plug
for the 67, 68, 69. I take it you have the correct Harness?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a 69 rx7, and i don't have a cougar harness, but it's a universal, and i still have the sequential box that's in the trunk. I got 4 rear light connectors, 1 for dim on each side, and one for bright on each side. My backup lights will run seperate on the new harness, and the liscense plate light is supposed to be spliced off one of the wires. I don't know if you get what i'm saying, but i'm trying to find a way to wire my kit through the box, and then it'll go out to my lights.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You're probably gonna have an even bigger problem, because the tail light sequencer is a self-contained unit, and if not wired correctly, will not function.

Obviously, there's 12V going in and out of the sequencer box, and you would need to find the proper wire to splice into your universal harness.

I don't recall if there's a negative or common wire in that circuit, but if so, they also need to be accounted for.

But there are "correct" wiring harnesses available from several sources for your '69, and you simply plug them into one end of the box, and out the other end.

My suggestion is to cut your losses, and go with the one of those.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Since you are so far along with the wire swap, you probably don't want to buy a used harness and start over so try this. Buy the 69 Cougar wiring harness diagrams and trace the turn signal wires that go into the back of the car. Take the original harness from the point just in front of where the sequential turn signal box goes and plice the turn signal/brake/parking light wires into the original harness at this point. A visit to Vic Yarberry's site will probably also help with the wiring details.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 69 wiring diagram book, and i tried tracing the wires, but once it goes through that box i can't make out where anything goes. What is Vic Yarberry's site?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just a thought. You obviously aren't too concerned with originality here, so why not just hook up the lights without the sequencer so they work like normal, then when they are working hook in an aftermarket universal sequencer. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I agree with Bruce. Use the original harness from just in front of the sequencer back. It should be simple enough to splice parking, reverse, and left/right signal feeds into the original harness. Once that is done the sequencer will function normally and you have 6 taillights again. That would save you a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was kinda stupid of me to go for the universal harness, it woulda been nice to keep it all original. The trouble is it's going to be my daily driver for awhile so i need the thing running without a hitch, and my previous harness was ****ed. I would like to keep all the orignal functions of the cougar, and hopefully some day i'll get around to rewiring it properly. Thanks for the help guys, i was planning on splicing it just in front of the relay box, but i can't figure out which wire goes where. I'll have to go through a couple of my sources down here.
Thanks again

·
Registered
588 Posts
What are the wires and color codes coming back from the (not) painless wiring harness? I have rewired a lot of stuff in Donna's car and maybe I can sort it out for you.

·
11,000 Posts
Classic Design Concepts offers a sequencer to convert late model Mustwangs from normal tailights to Cougar style sequence. It would work for your problem too. Cost is $265.00

I know the owner George Huisman. At one time he and his brother owned 12 GTE's!

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/catalog/itemdisplay/470.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts