Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled up the cat (On the way a mint cond. 68 drives by me waving, and leaving the station someone walked up and told me, "Nice car") but the tank only reads 3/4 full! The gas is all the way up to the cap too. When I had the tank dipped they took out the unit and it looked fine, but I grounded off the guage and it goes to full, so it must be the unit. Anyone know what else it could be? I am going to chop off the 32 year old connector (So many of those old connectors on this car have gone bad!) and hope that it is the culprit. But other than that, its gotta be the SU right? Where can I get another one? Should I waste my time driving to Santa Fe Ecology and get one out of a car there?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
for your info there is a 67 at the Santa fe yard right now

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Buy a new one for $25

I wouldn't waste your time w/ the thought of using a used one when they are really cheap to buy a new one.
I would be guessing but I think the float has a hole in it and is filling up w/ gas and that's the reason for the discrepency.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow your right, 40 bucks for a brand new one, not bad at all. They want 132 for an original lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
Does the low fuel light work on your 69? The sending unit for an XR7 is different if you are concerned with the low fuel warning light working. I haven't replaced mine yet, but John's Cougars can rebuild them for around $100. The light stays on all of the time on mine, so I just took the bulb out of the dash. It was killing my battery! Just a little info to think about. Scott

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It works, but if I get the $40 dollar unit I will just unhook it (Its the yellow wire leaving the SU. Is there anything else different between the $40 one and the XR7 one?

Thanks

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
A thermister

The Xr7's SU is not available. There is a thing called a thermister, I think that's how it's spelled.
It is what triggers the Low Fuel warning light on XR7's. Standard Cougars don't have that.
They are expensive to have rebuilt, but it is not the end of the world not to have the light, in the meantime you can buy the repo and look around for a rebuilt unit for XR7's.
Check with John Benoit, Cascade Classics or
Don Rush, West Coast Classic Cougar

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, but what is the difference between the XR7 SU and the standard?

Thanks

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
The thermister triggers the low fuel light.(XR7 only)
The Standard Cougar's SU is the only one available but does not have a thermister as a Standard does not have a Low Fuel Light

1 - 9 of 9 Posts