Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the proper way to do these or give me a little help ? Looks like not alot of room to get the shaft out,its real tight ?? have to assume the trans can stay in. Also are there multiple o rings/seals in the side for od etc . have a 69 351w w a fmx trans .any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
156 Posts
I haven't had the selector seal replaced on a FMX, but I had the local transmission shop replace the seal on my C4. I know the owner and he said it's a pain to change. Because he's a family friend they only charged me $40.00 for parts and labor. I don't know what the going price would be.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did this on my C6. I don't know how similar it is but here is what I recall:

When I got the shaft loose - everything came apart all at once and there were more bits and pieces than I thought - so be careful. It was also a pain to get the end of the shaft back in its proper location in the trans. Make sure to take a good picture of the correct location.

In the shop manual it looks like there is a "downshift shaft seal" and a "manual shaft seal" on the FMX transmission. Looks like shaft in a shaft setup.

I suggest doing a bit of research on the forum regarding pan gaskets. Make sure to get one that started life flat and not folded up in some box. Everything I have read says no silicone - it can clog passages in the trans. I did use a bit of tack & seal to hold the gasket in place.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I did the one in my c-4 and helped Copy Cat do the one in his FMX, He had some pic's I thought he got form this forum and it was'nt to bad to do. I remember it was a little trickey but took about an hour to do. The C-4 was really easy. If I remember right you do have to pull the valve body, and most important is to keep every thing clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts