Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on the west coast have one? Let me rephrase that, have one they want to part with? If you're within 100 miles of bay area (California) I'd be glad to come pick it up.

Oh yeah, I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for it too.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
9" rears

Republk A.D.,

Not that I'm on the west coast or anything, but... The year, ratio, brake size and posi/open parameters would help us help you better!

Your best bet for rears is in your local boneyards. Fortunate for me is there is one right across the street. I comb through there a couple of times a year looking through the 9"s on the rear end pile. I also look at any car or truck/van that might have had a 9", just for the center sections.

TIP:
Look at a car with a 9" rear, even if it is not the body type you want and check the door data plate. Generally, a letter in the axle code spot indicates a posi. Get a hold of a data plate decoder that will tell you the axle ratio for that code. Also, to help you in your search, Ford put a metal tag on all rear ends, attached to one of the center section studs, that tells you the date of mfg, the ratio, and so forth. A 3.00 on the lower left corner of the tag signifies a 3.00:1 non-posi rear. A 3.00 posi would say 3L00 on the tag. (I won't even get in to 2-pin versus 4-pin posis at this juncture.) Right now I have a bunch of posi center sections laying around. 2L75, 3L00, 3L25, 3L50, 3L70 and even an old equal-lock (early 60's posi unit) in 3L91!

Now the problem lies in whether or not the car you're looking at still has its original doors with the data plate attatched. The same goes for the rear ends. If anyone has been inside that particular rear end for any reason, they generally pitch the metal ID tag....

Happy hunting!

Now, if you want to swap me some rust-free California sheet metal for a couple of rear ends.... ;)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i know this is a really really old thread... but hey... wanna trade a posi chunk for some parts?? let me know what you need and im pretty sure ill be able to get ahold of it.......

·
Registered
24 Posts
parting 69 xr7 Cougar complete with 9" rear end

Anyone on the west coast have one? Let me rephrase that, have one they want to part with? If you're within 100 miles of bay area (California) I'd be glad to come pick it up.

I am parting a 69 Cougar xr7 with 9' REAR END $350 , near SAN JOSE , CA

·
Registered
411 Posts
I got a 9 inch from a 79 versailles..... if you want it, you can pick it up for cheap!!! it has a 3.50 rear in it.... 250.00 I'm in santa barbara....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Did you guys notice that the thread was 5 years ago???? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Did you guys notice that the thread was 5 years ago???? :confused:
Oh dang, Jiminy! I saw it said seeking 9" and rear and it turns out they're talking about car stuff from 5 years ago. For the last time people, I'm not a cougar owner, and I've never been a cougar owner.

-Senator Craig

:klo:

·
Registered
24 Posts

I am parting a 1969 Cougar and it has a 9" #s I am near SAN JOSE , CA. .
WES-AA 8LD
3.00 9 952A
408-206-0285

1 - 8 of 8 Posts