Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of Cougar books publish photos of preliminary styling exercises on the 1967 Cougar.

I recently read that Mercury was working on the 1969 syling before the 1967 even hit the market. However, I have never seen any photos of the 69 other than its ultimate form.

Has anyone ever seen any "paths not taken" for the 69? For example, I would have to think that the "side spear" was not the only route that could have been taken and that lots of alternatives were considered before a final decison was made.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I even have an autographed copy. I am guessing, Don, you are referring to the "fastback" pic on page 91?

Anything else out there anyone knows of?

·
Registered
735 Posts
It's funny, but you bring up a good point. I personally have not seen much (if anything) out there regarding styling concepts for the '69-'70 Cougars.

The only thing I know of that is remotely connected is a strange piece of original artwork that came up for sale on eBay years ago. It was listed as an original factory concept drawing and if I remember correctly it wasn't even called a Cougar, but another model, possibly a Torino.

Anywho, it is obviously a '70 Cougar so being an illustrator I thought it was cool and I saved the pic from the auction.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some info profiling that picture is on page 140 of the "big book."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any of you "gurus" holding out on info?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts