Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the xr7 front buckets, can't cruise comfortably for more than about 15mins, next day after cruising can still feel it.
Anyone use one of those wire mesh lumbar supports or any other padded seat cover for more comfortable driving. about ready to yank a seat from my lincoln LSC and go with it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The seats in mine are hard as a rock. I use a pillow, helps a little.
Thinking of replacing mine with some late model seats.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That's always tough just becuase everybody has different levels of whats comfortable. I'd cruise junk yards and peruse whats there and how you think it will look in your car. I was just eyballing a set of high backs out af a 96 Cobra for sale here....very nice! I have had various pads/supports that only seem to be bandaids. I love seats that have adjustable lumbar supports just because some days I need to change it a bit and it helpos on long trips too.....of course there is aftermarket seats like Recaro which are quite popular, and I will admit I have found some of those I really like but ouch in $!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
i personally prefer the upright seating position the old cars gave...i hate, and i mean hate, when i see someone reclining their seats and "cruising" all gheto hood rat style.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Open up the seat from the back and fill it with a thick memory foam, It will help with support, keep the stock look, and your ass will just melt into the seat.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only wish it was that easy. The seats would have to be removed from the car first, then the backs separated and all hardware removed, then hog rings removed and I don't have a hog ring plier, not sure the old factory coverings would even survive through it, if accept the extra padding and still fit back in place. I was looking at some heavy pile 1" sheepskin covers but man are they expensive!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if your not comfortable , you'll not drive it---we used 2001 honda prelude seats mounted to a steel plate with studs so the stock mounting points could be used---had them re upholstered to match the 67 decore type upholstery---they lay back and have lumbar---the headrests are removable--after the first long trip , the headrests have not been off
doctordesoto

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Could you take them to an upholstery shop and have them put new springs in it? Do they even make the correct foam to replace a 68 cougars old foam? Kinda asking for me also. I was only sixteen when I had my last cougar and don't remember if it was comfortable or not. These felt alright sitting in them when I brought it home. I do plan on re-upholstering the front buckets and recon that would be the time to do the foam also if it needs it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts