Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is this. I have all the factory belts with Fomoco tags intact but, since they were not in car when I bought it I need to know how they go I figured out the back seat, now I need help in the front. Which side does the retractor go on the inside or the door side??? Please help I'm new to the trade so now I need to learn the tricks... Thanks to all Lance...a 25 yr old with a 34 yr old car....:1zhelp:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
the retractor goes on the side with the door on both sides. if you need them i can take pics of my car and show how they are all supposed to hook up. you have the shoulder harnesses as well right??

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
sixt9 is right the retractors go by the doors. FYI ...I upgraded my belts to modern 3 points and I would recomend this to anyone who is doing their headliner on all but show restorations. They are comfortable and look like factory.
John

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hey WvCat, whats that vent looking thing in your doorjamb?? my 69 doesnt have that............

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey 6T8Cat, How about getting some pics of that cat up on the board.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I don't have all the belts now I don't think I have the original belts either. What I have looks like the picture below. Didn't have a picture so had make one, so what do you think now O WISE MEN of the forum........Thanks again for all the help. Keep on Cruisin

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
saw the drawings, yeah, looks right to me for the retractors

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pics

I'm working the issue gotta get the camera and good weather. Live about 25 mins from St. Louis MO. Check the news freezing rain and snow. i'll get them up soon. Thanks for the request.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks sixt9 for the help maybe now I can get my seats back in. HA have a good nite all I'm out . THANKS again to all......Lance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes 69's didnt have them. I belive they were put in for reasons of venting and making it eaiser when closing the doors. That didnt sound right, I guess i can't explain what I'm thinking!!mm

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yes, this is a '70 item. Flow-thru Ventilation:

Pressure relief valves on rear quarter door latch pillars allow air to escape from the passenger compartment when the door is closed. The air passes through or under the rear seat and luggage compartment, through the quarter panels and outside via the valves on the door latch pillars. Pressure relief permits more outside air to flow through the passenger compartment with the windows closed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
WVCat

WVCat,

Did you use the article on The Classic Cougar Network to upgrade your belts to 3-point? Which 3-point kit did you use? I'd like more information on doing this for the '68 I think I'm buying.

Shannon

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I just took it on myself and installed them. I used both of the factory lower mounting points and moved the top one forward until it was directly above the retractor. I used a piece of flatbar with a 7/16 nut welded to it for the mount. It worked out being mounted directly below a roof brace. You will need to have the headliner out or at least pulled loose on the sides. I bought the belts from southern rods at:http://www.southernrods.com/ for 45.99 per seat. They have colors available.
John
wvcat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts