Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, here goes another post!! I was contemplating repairs to the driver's seat in my 67. (It seems I want to work on everything at the same time! :rolleyes: ) Anyway, the bottom portion of the seat is the only damaged area in the whole interior. Now John's Classic Cougars can make a replacement "seat" but can't garantee a match due to the age difference in the materials, which makes sense. So, short of replacing the vinyl on all the seats for it to match I have an opportunity to purchase an original used passenger seat in excellent condition. From looking at the two seats, the bottom portion seems to be the same. So the plan is to remove the bottom portion of the seat cover on this newly acquired bucket and re-installing it on my driver's seat. As anyone gone this route and if so, are there concerns with working on a 35 year old seat cover? Any :1zhelp: would be appreciated.

·
Registered
669 Posts
They do seem to be the same except for the hole left on the outside of your 'new' passenger seat.(where the seat back pivot is). This means that you will have a small hole on the inside part of the driver seat after you have switched it over. The part of it being 'old'. Be careful pulling on the material. It gets less maliable over the years and can tear more easily.
Hope this helps, Bert

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bert!

...I didn't think of the pivot holes. But at least the visible hole will be on the inside. It should not be too noticable. Then I guess there will also be a hole on the outside edge of the seat that will be hidden by the seat back bracket. There does not seem to be much choice since good condition driver's seats are rare...or I spend the big bucks to recover both front seats. But even this will make the finish of the front seats different from the rear seats!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts