Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have found a set of high back buckets for my 69 eliminator clone. The seat foam will need to be replaced and new eliminator seat covers installed. Anyone done this or should I just take it to an expert?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm in the process right now. Just finished removing the original seat covers. Didn't expect to find so many hog rings to remove and this is going to be difficult to put the new covers back on. I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to attempt this or bail out and take them to a pro. At least I should get a better price considering I've removed the original seat covers.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I did my '69 XR7 'vert seats, all of them, in black leather as original. As for how hard, depends on how mechanically inclined/adept you are really.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Make sure the covers are warm and pliable and you have strong hands and lots of patience. I take mine to the pros...

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I did a set once and swore I'd never do it again. The rear bench is pretty easy but the front buckets are tough to do properly. As Don says, you must have very strong hands and loads of patience. An upholsterer will typically charge around $100-$200 per seat for installing pre-sewn covers and new foam. This job is well worth paying the professionals to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts