Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where else to put this. My factory seats are beyond shot. I have a lead on a pair of black seats from a 90 cougar. My question is, what are the odds that this will bolt in to the factory holes?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I'm going to go with a million to one, Monty. :buck:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, you know what they say. Nothing is impossible. It just costs more. I have had several of the MN12 cars (89-97 tbirds/cougars) and the seats are very very good seats. May try it and see what happens. If nothing else, I can always use the "reinforce the floor and bolt it in" approach.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Atta boy! I'd go with what's comfortable and looks good to you. making them fit probably isn't going to be all that tough - unless they are to wide or some crazy thing like that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the dimensions handed to me by a buddy on another forum.

Seat rail thickness (from the bottom of the seat to where it bolts to the floor.)
5-3/4" at lowest

Distance between bolts on the same rail. (front to rear bolt distance.)
inboard rail: 15-5/8" , outboard: 15-3/4" (hole center to hole center)

Distance between seat rails. (from outboard to inboard, preferably from the mounting bolts)
front: 14-1/8" , rear 15-1/8" (hole center to hole center)

Width of the seatpan at the bottom and width of the seat cushion at it widest point.
21-1/2"

Width of the back at bottom and top.
bottom: 21-1/2" , top: 18-1/2"

Measured from a 90 SC seat

If my measurements are correct on the floorpan, it should fit quite nicely. A little snug, but it should still fit. My only concern is retaining the functionality of the power controls with them being so close to the rocker rail. If my measuring is correct, I have 22.5" from where the seat pans end on the trans tunnel and the rocker rail. That leaves a half inch to play with on each side. I may be relocating some electronic controls.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
electric seats may also be higher , affecting head room----make sure the seats you are going to use have a flat bolt pattern , otherwise it gets complicated---we lazer cut an addaptor plate to fit 2000ish honda prelude manual seats to the stock hole pattern--they are narrow enough to fit in a console car and low enough to clear your head---we had them reupholstered to look like stock cougar seats

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My brother found me a pair of back leather Mustang GT seats that should fit. They will be bolted directly to a reinforced floorpan, so bolt pattern isnt an issue. Width is the only thing I am concerning myself with. I bet the prelude seats look great though.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Funny you should mention this topic... I was in the junkyard across the street yesterday looking for some lightweight manual buckets to replace the dual-power split bench seat in my '89 Crown Vic. I don't want anything with cigarette burns, or stains, blood, or... I figure that 150+ pound weight loss alone will get me into the 12s! The problem being most nice bucket seat cars have power seats!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts