Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member,first post.. Don't shoot me for asking stupid questions! Just bought a '68 standard coupe not too long ago, and just ordered new seat belts over the weekend. These ARE floor mounted, correct? And I'm assuming I'll find an install hole under the non-original carpet, correct? There were no seat belts in the car when I got it, but it had some old, dry rotten seat belts in a box along with the car. I bought 2 seats of belts identical to the ones in the box.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Welcome! Yes, the seatbelts are all mounted to the floor except for the front shoulder belts which would have been attached to the roof. You should find a hole just behind the front seats on either side of the transmission hump down low and on the inner rocker where you would attach the retractor. If you have front shoulder belts, both receivers attach to the same bolt on the transmission hump.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
New member,first post.. Don't shoot me for asking stupid questions! Just bought a '68 standard coupe not too long ago, and just ordered new seat belts over the weekend. These ARE floor mounted, correct? And I'm assuming I'll find an install hole under the non-original carpet, correct? There were no seat belts in the car when I got it, but it had some old, dry rotten seat belts in a box along with the car. I bought 2 seats of belts identical to the ones in the box.
Welcome, Walby!

Where did you get your seatbelts and hardware, anyway? Just curious..

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the belts thru West coast Classic Cougar. Should be arriving later this week. New belts with the starburst push button design.

·
11,000 Posts
'68 Cougars built before January 1, 1968 did not have shoulder belts originally unless they were installed as optional equipment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts