Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone use for seam sealer in the trunk and tub area? How close does it match what the factory did? Looks to me like the factory just sprayed it in and I am thinking my car was built around christmas and maybe the bottle was going down the line at the same time. Pretty sloppy. I need to find out what to use to replace it since the car was media blasted and all the seam sealer is gone. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow for 44 bucks for ten ounces I would be broke quick. Seem like every seam in the car had sealer on it. Around the wheel wells from the trunk forward, front of floor pan, rear of floor pan, floor pan drains and even around the cross supports in the rear of the tub! I am not sure either one would have the appearance of the factory stuff as it was or looks like it was sprayed, Almost shabby looking and not very careful as there were even spots along the tunnel inside the car where it looked like oops, Not sure I will find a spray type though? I am almost wondering if the original seam sealer was more of what they used in the rear wheel wells for undercoating? very similar texture. Maybe If I used a seam sealer like the caulk gun type and sprayed some type of spackle maybe undercoating in a can, over it? What do yall think?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Wow for 44 bucks for ten ounces I would be broke quick.
Heh... How much do you plan on using?

Those of you guys that think that quality body shop supplies are cheap are livin' in the past. :D

Fuzor is the top of the line, other 2 part adhesives like Tremco are out there and slightly less expensive.

The "Fast-N-Firm" stuff was good in the day but eventually cracks and shrinks. I've used the Eastwood brush on stuff, it's OK, may fit your budget a little better.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I use

You can brush it on with an acid brush and leave it that way or you can get all fancy and smooth it out with lacquer thinner on a rag. It has a pretty factory look once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Art I don't mind paying for quality. In regards to how much? I don't know enough to do a whole car in the manner that the factory did. I am trying to replicate the look that the factory had. Smudges included.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Art, Thank you that looks pretty promising. I am going to try and find some of this sludge stuff and will go from there. If I can get some I can apply it myself while the painter is blocking the chasis then by the time he is ready to paint maybe I will haver done? Will search tomorrow for a supplier of this stuff.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Idea? What about roofing tar? The kind that you get in a can and you towel on? You could spackle it with a brush, It would probably bleed through a little (good thing) and would stay somewhat pliable. Not sure if you could paint over it though.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Art, Thank you that looks pretty promising. I am going to try and find some of this sludge stuff and will go from there. If I can get some I can apply it myself while the painter is blocking the chasis then by the time he is ready to paint maybe I will haver done? Will search tomorrow for a supplier of this stuff.
I think we you confusing seam sealing with sound deadening. When our cars were produced there was some type of yellow foam that was put between major body panels before they were spot welded. This was the seam sealer.
Then a tar-like goop was sprayed in the trunk, floorpans, around shock towers, inside fenders. This was sound deadener

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I think you are correct, I am definitely talking about the tar like stuff that was over all the seams in the trunk, across the front and rear of the floor pan in the chassis and even around the cross members behind the rear seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts