Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oops, Ahem..Comparisons

Out of the top 11 non-custom, non charity, original-type cars sold in the entire auction:

3 Boss 9 Mustangs
2 Corvette Convertibles
2 Classic DeSotos ('56, '57- incredible cars!)
1 '38 Cadillac V16
1 '29 Lincoln Phaeton
1 '32 Chrysler Imperial

And One '68 Cougar in "11th place". Pretty cool for our Cougars ;)

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appl...aspx?aid=403&sd=01/18/2011&ed=01/23/2011&c=30

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barrett-Jackson is selling raisins now? Wow.....I guess they will do anything for a buck.
Haha..berry fuddy, Pat ;) Why oh WHY can't we edit Post TITLES here?? How umbearasing..

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Heard it through the grapevine.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It´s in the details, correctness of parts, fitness of parts, quality of the restoration done on Brian´s car, quality of the paint, polishing etc, there are plenty of things different between those two cars to justify the difference in price

Wonder what netted the extra $56,500 on this car compared to the one on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-MERCURY-COUGAR-GT-E-CARDINAL-RED-427-4V-GTE-/110656856276?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19c3a9a0d4

Real auction vs. digital auction inflation? January vs. March sales?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am not a judge by any means, but the restoration quality and parts fitment looks pretty identical to me. The restoration quality is the only thing I would chalk up almost $60,000 difference to, but from the pictures, there is no difference in the quality, they are both excellent.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Well the quality on Brian´s restoration is quite a bit higher than on the MU car, also the fitment on the parts are much better and more well done on Brian´s car.
also the standard on the parts Brian used was on a higher level, and there is a big portion of the parts on the Mustang Unlimited car that is wrong for that car.
Brian´s car is a very high level restoration where time was spent on details, correctness of parts, fitment, adjustments etc, i believe it´s on the level as to call it a concours (sp?) correct restoration.
The MU car is a older light restoration with a repaint and some minor exchange of parts, but mostly it´s just thrown together with wrong type of parts for that particular car, just check out the tread on the MU car on the for sale section i think it was, there is pointed out several of the parts that are wrong for this car.

And with what i see on the pics of those two cars, how the work was done, what parts was used, and i aslo see better the condition and quality of the work, paint etc, even on pictures much better than most other people because i do this type of work for a living.
So in my opinion the MU car is a bit on the high side regarding the price, i guess they will be lucky to get top dollar for that car.
So to be complete honest, i think there should be more gap in the price between the MU car and Brian´s car

And just to mention this, i don´t know Brian, i don´t think i´ve even spoken with him so far, and i do not have anything against Mustang Unlimited either

I am not a judge by any means, but the restoration quality and parts fitment looks pretty identical to me. The restoration quality is the only thing I would chalk up almost $60,000 difference to, but from the pictures, there is no difference in the quality, they are both excellent.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
This may sound as if I am picking on you, but really that is not the case. You don't know what to look for so you don't know what you are seeing.

The Ebay car is a standard, but it has an XR7 dash in it. The front valance appears to be from a G car. While both of these things are interesting mods, they have no place on a collector car. I could go on until I sucked all of the oxygen out of the room, but I don't want to do that first, because it would be unfair to MU and second there are other threads that have already discussed this car. Brian's car had very very few flaws, and you would need to be a true GT-E expert to know the difference. Also, and this is a big difference in the collector car world, Brian's car was a fresh restoration, with virtually no miles. That is the difference between a number 1 car and a number 2 car. The difference between a nice car and a perfect car may almost double the price.

It is tempting to say that the TV auction brings more money for the same car, but this is backwards actually. The auction brings the buyers with the most money to the table. This brings out the best cars. When the two meet, the result is big $$$ changing hands. Brian didn't sell his car on Ebay for a reason: it would bring a lot more money if seen in person. The MU car is on eBay for a reason: it won't stand up to scrutiny in the high end auction environment.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
You will see the difference in the quality when you know what to look for.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks guys, and those of you that responded to my question/curiousity don't need to wonder if I took offense or not. If you'll notice those that answered are all quite a bit older and have been around this scene for far longer (some of you probably longer than I have been alive). The response to this was very educational and I appreciate the time in expaining it. I was somewhat suspect of the fact that there were little differences I could notice (as in the variations in the 2 cars interiors and slight differences in the engine bay) however, I actually have never seen one in person (actually I have never seen any correctly restored or concours Cougar in person period). A lot of this type of knowledge rests with you guys and the experiences you have had through the years. Thanks for sharing your take as it gives me a brick in the wall that is the Great Wall of the concours Cougar world.

Tony

·
11,000 Posts
Pictures can be decieving, but in this case I think you must not be looking at the same pictures I am. The car on eBay is a nice driver with lots of technical errors and odd owner modifications. It is maybe a $65,000 car.

Brian's car was essentially correct in nearly every detail, freshly restored to the highest possible standards, and just plain superior in every possible way.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Pictures can be decieving, but in this case I think you must not be looking at the same pictures I am.
No, I am just using different eyes.....and I mean that in about every way you can take it. My eyes don't pick up on the same things yours would......actually, let me rephrase that, my eyes don't pick up on things your's do. Likewise, when I see a difference, as in the case with these two cars, I couldn't tell you which one was right and which one was wrong.

You also have 2 GT-E's. I'll be lucky if I ever see one in person, let alone ride in one, or win the lottery so I can own one.

Tony

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, I am just using different eyes.....and I mean that in about every way you can take it. My eyes don't pick up on the same things yours would......actually, let me rephrase that, my eyes don't pick up on things your's do. Likewise, when I see a difference, as in the case with these two cars, I couldn't tell you which one was right and which one was wrong.

You also have 2 GT-E's. I'll be lucky if I ever see one in person, let alone ride in one, or win the lottery so I can own one.

Tony
Tony,

You've done a good job establishing dialog and learning what you want to know here. I for one know where you're coming from..these things take a little time and experience to "get", but it happens, don't worry..and I hope you (hell, everyone here) knows that I dont' mean to be bragging. This stuff is all interesting and fun, that's the main thing I was trying to document. And it's fun to see how the GT-E can do versus other premier collector cars. That's all..

I compliment you for taking a bashing so well! ;) Seriously, I don't know much about the MU care either..but I do know what it took for detailing-out a GT-E. Hell, doing any Cougar to the highest degreee and presenting a fresh restoration is a huge undertaking. And yep, there are countless little things that I now see and know to look for whenever looking at a car.. but I'm still learning too. The school of hard knocks was really good for me, yet I'm still in school in so many ways. There are in fact a bunch of things about that MU car that are super cool, but there are just things that happen to a car after it's restoration has been done for years, and especially after it has been driven! It's an endless battle to keep a car somewhat perfect after a restoration. And yes, there are a lot of details that are hidden and need close up photos or close inspection that will tell someone if they are even interested in a GT-E, let alone what it is worth. As many have said on the thread about the MU car, it is not exactly presented in the ad in a way that shows they're pushing very hard to sell it. It's likely a token "put it up for sale and see what happens, good advertising in the meantime" ad. It never sold, either, so it's price-spread isn't even established, at this point. I would spot it at somewhere between a 80-100K car to the right buyer. Just my guess :)

Cheers, thanks for being a good rep of the younger generation here!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Tony,

IF you are ever in the Phoenix area, and it isn't 100 plus degrees, I will take you for a ride in my GT-E. It is way below the standard of either of the cars in this thread, but that makes it a fun car to drive. I usually have a party at my house during Barrett Jackson and there are usually a few interesting cars that show up including another GT-E one year and a '69 XR7 CJ 4 speed sunroof cat another year. This is a great opportunity to see some nice cars, drink beer and tell lies.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I compliment you for taking a bashing so well!
I don't really see it as a bashing so much as it turned out to be a pretty effective and manipulative way (even though it wasn't intended that way) to get the older school guys to do a knowledge dump on me. For my age I wouldn't say that I am where some of you guys are for yours, but I have a feeling I'll still be around in the Cougar scene by the time I am in the same life position as you guys. That said, "I don't know what I don't know" so thanks to all those that have helped me establish what "I don't know", it's always a bit humbling.

Tony

1 - 20 of 25 Posts