Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if someone could tell me who makes the best quality eliminator scoops and spoilers (Front and Rear). I know NOS is best, but does anyone reproduce these just like they came or close. Any info. would be appreciated, trying to learn what's out there. Another ? is if the front and rear Spoilers are the same as Mustang -- been told there not. Thanks in advance
Yarddog:1zhelp:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
YD-
From what I understand, they are different from Mustang. I got my rear spoiler and scoop both from AutoKrafters in Va. and am quite satisfied. See if this link will take you to my gallery of pics and you can check out ragcat with scoop and spoiler. If the link doesn't work, go to the photo gallery and look for ragcat in the '69's.
http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=131&cat=500&thumb=1

Chuck

·
Registered
246 Posts
I ordered both of mine from Mustangs Unlimited.

The spoiler fit great, just drill and go. Wish I could say the same about the scoop. The bolts wouldn't go through the inner bracing layer of the hood, so I had to cut holes so I could get in to the bolts.

Feh!

·
Registered
448 Posts
scoop

I'm with Jason on this one,
I bought an aftermartket scoop from Mustangs unlimited and had to drill holes as well as access holes. The aftermarket scoops are nowhere near the quality of an original scoop. Several of the studs came out and craked the mounting holes when I tried to tighten the nuts. I ended up having to epoxy all of the studs in the scoop before installing it on my hood. The original hood scoops can be had for $125-$150 at swap meets and ebay, the aftermarket ones are $80-$90. Take your time, save up your money, and wait til' you can find a good original scoop. I wish I had!
Paul G.
69XR7 Convertible (now with awesome wallpaper courtesy of T. Logan)

http://scjeliminator.home.attbi.com/69xr7.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yarddog, I can't help you out on the hood scoop but I can offer some info on the front spoiler. Both John's Classic Cougars and Ken's Cougars offer a reproduction of the front spoiler. It is very close to an NOS one. I have the 69 NOS front spoiler that the reproduction ones were made from. The reproduction ones are a little bit stonger than the NOS one. From what I was told, there is a difference between the 69 Eliminator front spoiler and the 70 Eliminator front spoiler. The 69 has 2 center tabs with bolt holes and the 70 didn't have them. The reproduction has the center tabs.

Jim

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your input so far guy's, Im a way's from the body, but good to know in case you run up on something and got a little knowledge about what your looking at.------------- Is the Comet GT scoop the same? Yarddog

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The Comet GT scoop is the same cosmetically, but I believe the studs are in different locations.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just received in the mail my 69 Cougar front spoiler. It doesn't appear to have any mounting holes or anything of the sort. I also got this from Mustangs Unlimited.

Sigh, it'll be fun figuring out how that goes on.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
the studs can be moved on a Comet one to the correct locations

1 - 9 of 9 Posts