Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know the demensions of the eliminator hood scoops. I'v found a repo and its aprox 25"wide x 26 long" x3"high.:confused:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The origanal is 25 across the back, 21 across the front and 26 long. I went out and mesured the original I have. Sounds like the repo is correct. mm

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hood scoop

Do yourself a favor, save your money and take a little time looking for a decent original. I used a repo and had some problems. The studs on them don't line up with the original holes, and 5 of the studs broke free under very little torque. The exrta 50-100 bucks you'll spend is well worth doing it right. I know because I didn't.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible
http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougar.html

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scoops

even though I'm being told they are molded from a factory part?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thats a fact. The bolts are not placed in the correct position,and are not secured in the scoops very well.

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Another Scoop Question??

Hey Guys....is the 69/70 Cougar scoop exactly the same as the 69/70 Mustang scoop? I am looking at one right now that has turn signals in the back of the scoop and I don't recall ever seeing a Cougar with those on it???

Dale

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 69/70 Mustang scoop is different from the Cougar scoop. A little narrower I think. It may just fit, though, cause I've seen 'em mounted on just about every other kinda vehicle.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the great Info. I will hold out for a real one. I found one in the attached image. The gentleman wants $125.00. What do you guys think?:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
scoops.....et al

The Mustang's non-shaker scoop (351/390/428) is smaller. The Boss 429 is similar to the Cougar's but is larger. Personally I think the Cougar's hood scoop is better proportioned for the size of the hood.

$125 isn't a bad price for a Cougar hood scoop if it's decent. It looks like it needs some work though.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scoop

Yea it does need a little work, however it is minor. I can do it no problem. It is the only one available at this time though. Everywhere else I've looked , if they have one they are asking anywhere from $250.00 to 500.00 which I personally think is way out of line.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hood Scoop

You saw the numbers on the original on Ebay. If it is original and all the studs are in, I would buy it. The piece missing is an easy fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
vfret, where'd you find the aftermarket Eliminator hood scoop? I'm doing a resto-mod on my '78 cougar to make it into a '78 Eliminator', so to speak. I'm looking for both a hood scoop and a spoiler. If you'd send me the contact info on that aftermarket scoop to [email protected], I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
2 Posts
oops...

I meant to mention that I'm also looking for white Eliminator graphics, so if anyone knows where I could get my hands on a set, give me a yell at the above address!

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts